Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Candle wax on keyboard?

• Please log in to reply

saraveza408

saraveza408

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
OMG! I cant believe my stupidity!! I got candle wax drops on my laptops keyboard! Worst part is y old piece of junk laptop(well notebook) hasthe extreme tendancies to heat up fast! What do I do?How do I get this wax off? Please!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
is the wax behind the keys or just inbetween and on top of them? Candle wax melts at 190° F. Itf its under the keys you may be able to pull the keyboard out of the laptop, suspend it somehow upside down inside an oven set at a low temp and see if it will get off the key arms. Be very careful here to not melt the keys in the process. It may free up sticky keys. I don't know of any solvent that will work to remove the wax.

A opposite procedure is to freeze the keyboard for a while and hit the keys to break away the wax from around them. If the wax is on top or in between the keys freezing will let you peel up the wax with an exacto knife. Maybe enough to get the KB working.

If nothing else you can buy another KB at places like this.

http://www.sparepart...,Keyboards.aspx

SRX660

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
Can I put my whole laptop in the freezer?((((doesnt that sound odd?! LOL !"Can I put my whole laptop in the freezer?"LOL!))) but really what if i used a hairdryer to heat the wax & lift it off w/a paper towel?Or will ahair dryer like warp stuf inside?I tried a exzacto knife & then Blowing the wax away w/a small electric air pumpbut that seemed to spread little wax pieces close to getting in between the keys & Id rather have it stuck to the keys than in between them.My main concern is my laptop heating up & wax melting in between the keys.If he probability of that happening is nill than could I just leave the wax there?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The hairdryer sound like a good idea if you turn the laptop upside down and don't get it close enough to start melting the keys. I dunno about putting the whole laptop in the freezer. You could cause some connection to loosen and play havok with the computer. Keyboards are usually not hard to pull out of a laptop. Long ago i bought a bunch of dealer service manuals at a auction for dell, toshiba, H-P and some others. Now they are pretty obsolete since i don't hardly see those laptops anymore. Usually a clipped panel and/or a few screws let you pull the KB. I have quite a few Tosh and dell keyboards lying around. Just hate to throw them away. Someday i will figure out how to use laptop tft panels with desktop computers cheaply so i will store the parts until i'm too old to mess with them or figure out how to do it.

SRX660

bobletman

bobletman

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
y not just pop the keys of one by one and remove the gunk, laptop keys pop in easily.

saraveza408

saraveza408

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
ya i decided against stickin my laptop in the ol fridgedare. so tell me,how do i pop the keys out? Keep in mind im a complete computer rookie so im not tryn to take it apart.

bigdogc23

bigdogc23

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm not sure if you are still having this issue or not but thought I would throw this in anyway for someone that might view it. Take a little butter or olive oil and put it on a piece of cotton. Then rub the affected area until the wax is gone. I had to do this for my computer screen a couple months back and learned this through a forum. Seeing as it's the computer keys, you will be able to press a little harder than I could on my screen. It may take just a little bit but it will come off. Good luck.

D-Berd

D-Berd

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Take picture of it and post it.:D