Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Wireless

• Please log in to reply

Trish

Trish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello. I set up my wireless network with a D-Link Modem plugged into a D-link Wireless Router through ethernet. I set up a WEP and it was working perfectly for about 6 months. Then, one day I turend on my PC and it asked for the WEP. I entered it in, but said it was incorrect. So I reset the wireless router back to factory settings and set up the network again with the WEP. This has worked perfectly for about 2 weeks. However it is now asking for the WEP again.....The weird thing is that it was working perfectly for 6 months and I hadn't touched any router or PC settings and it suddendly asks for the WEP...Any ideas??

Advertisements

SnowX

SnowX

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well its possible other people within your area could have accessed your wireless connection and found out what type of wireless it was e.g. belkin / linksys and so on... then found out the login page on the browser and thought it would be funny by passwording your connection. for their own uses.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
I suggest password protecting your router, making sure that WEP is enabled, and if possible, set MAC addresses. This will prevent anyone from gaining access without your permission. Upgrade your router's firmware version too if possible.

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks guys....I do have the router login page password protected....I will look into setting mac addresses...One other weird thing is that after I fixed it the first time (by resetting the router) the signal strength from the router on my PC goes weird. It jumps from 1mbps to 20mbps to 50mbps and all over the place....the router is only about 10 meters from the PC and is around 2 corridors. Thanks again

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Does it always do that? It might do that when it first connects, but that's strange for it to do at often...

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
It does it randomly...I could be sitting there and it will stay at 18mbps for 10mins...then it will suddenly jump to 50mbps...then jump to 1mbps...all without moving the notebook.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Do you have any mirrors around? Are there a lot of walls in this area (weird question I know, but depending on the architecture of your house, you may have a lot of walls from point A (computer) to point B (router) )

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
You might also condsider changing wireless channels, as cordless phones can interfeer <--- has yet to work for this kind of problem but all the major wireless router companies says it is a big problem?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
edited double post. sorry

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 20 August 2006 - 12:31 PM.

Trish

Trish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks guys...There are 3 walls between the router and the PC...but I thought the signal may travel down the coridoor :whistling:

I did change the channel about a month ago and it did improve the signal...but I have tried changing it again..with no luck