Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need help BUYING a laptop.

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
This is kind of urgent, the laptop is probably already gone from best buy, anyone know?

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
For college which processor is better probably doesn't matter. Each will run what you need it to run. It is a good deal so I say if it won't make you broke (as in you aren't emptying your pockets for this) go ahead and get it. It will do college nicely.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Not necessarily on topic, but an intersting sidenote: I agree with WarriorScot on the overrated aspect of laptops in colleges and universities. Very few people at my university brought laptops to class and the ones who did were not using them for school related purposes. A good thumb drive will serve you better especially given the abundance of systems available to you on campus. You could use the same amount of money and buy a much more robust desktop system which will be just as useful to you at school.

But, to each his own. The system you were considering looks like a good deal, so if it's still there, snag it.

Edited by kidnova, 22 August 2006 - 02:44 PM.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
So does anyone not know the difference between AMD turion and AMD athlon?

Yes but I do not really want a desktop in my dorm, it's small enough as it is.

And I talked to my dad about the previous PC, but he did not like it because it was Gateway.

We went to Circuit City today and in my opinion, found a better deal, check this out.

http://www.circuitci...ication.do#tabs

HP Pavilion Entertainment Notebook PC (DV8309US)

AMD turion 64
1.8 GHZ
1024 MB RAM
80 GB hard drive
17"
128 MB video dedicated memory
ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M IGP

It will be around 850$

In my opinion this is better than the previous deal I posted.

I will probably purchase this laptop tomorrow, unless you guys can tell me something otherwise that I may have overlooked?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Sk0rch, 22 August 2006 - 05:47 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I'm only worried about the ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M IGP. It's an Integrated Graphics Processor which means, onboard graphics *scary music*

So games might be a no-no on the laptop. I don't know what your dad has against Gateway, ask him for me will you?

For a 17" 1.8GHz laptop, it seems like a good deal (except for the graphics).

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Wait so the graphics is integrated? It says 128 MB video dedicated memory though. I thought that means it is not integrated?

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Ok I realized what you mean. I guess it is not a bargain after all.

I found this website for comparing video cards and it is integrated.

http://www.notebookr...asp?newsID=2757

Blah.

I have been checking out cyberpowerpc.com

Under athlon processors there are about 4 laptops around the same price, which one is better?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Edited by Sk0rch, 22 August 2006 - 07:19 PM.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I do not want a hardcore video card. ATI x700 or x600 is fine(or equivalanent of Nvidia), I am not rich so it is fine. So if anyone can find a great deal based on that with 1024 RAM, atleast 80 GB, atleast 1.8 GHZ, and Athlon processor, for 800-1200$, I'd appreciate it.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I got my desktop from CyberPower :whistling:

Keep in mind however, it is a great deal more expensive than what you've been looking at. I mean the cheapest decent laptop I found from CyberPower was over $1100. If that's okay, I will continue to help you build an ideal college computer. Let me know.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I guess 1100$ is ok.

Advertisements

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
The turion is a newer amd processor. It is a bit lower voltage, so you would get a little better battery life, but i dont really think its that big of a difference to be a deal breaker. They are both 64bit compatible and will work with windows vista 64. Personally, i would go with the better graphics card, being the one with the athlon.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Alright on CyberPower I just made this puppy for $1134 without shipping or rebates.

Start off with the AMD Xplorer X64-8000 Notebook. Everything on the following list I changed to. Everything else I left at what it was.

-Mobile AMD Turion™64 MT-30 CPU @ 1.6GHz w/ HT
-80GB 5400RPM ULTRA ATA 100 HARD DRIVE
-Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 2.0A
-Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2

I changed to WXP Professional because I know at my college the network will only work with Pro. Depends on your college though. Other than that, I just changed to a Turion, added a bigger hard drive, and since you want games, I added a mouse. Simple as that! Not a great deal for $1140 but for a custom computer it's pretty spiffy.

Lemme know what you think.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Well I want the mx518 mouse so it adds up to 1163$. Like you said, it's not a great deal.

That is what I need. We don't have much money and I would like to save as much as possible, I do not think cyberpower will let me do this.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
What do you think of this one?

I can't find anything wrong with it besides it being "ABS"

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834224054

Is that a better deal that cyberpower?

This one is slightly worse because it is 64 MB video memory, and 1.8 GHZ.

Only good things I can find about it is that it is 120 GB hard drive, and that it is Acer, which is probably better than ABS right?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834115218

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Have you checked out Dell yet? When it comes to notebooks, they build quality products and have a lot of options for customization on their site.

I was able to build a Core Duo system with 1GB RAM and an ATI X1400 w/ 256MB of dedicated memory for right around $1100 which is the price range you are looking in.

Edited by kidnova, 23 August 2006 - 09:33 AM.