Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I need help BUYING a laptop.

• Please log in to reply

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yes I have.. not much of a selection... the XLS or w/e is 1,200$ ... and is far from worth it for that price.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Unless you are set on an AMD system, you might want to give this one a look:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834115246

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Well is the Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology that much worse than AMD? The one you are showing me is x1600.. maybe I can even get it under 1,000 if I settle for x600 or x700, if you read my post, it says that I do not want a hardcore gaming PC, which is what x1600 would probably be for.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I just purchased the

Acer Aspire AS5672WLMi-ATI X1600 NoteBook Intel Core Duo T2300(1.66GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 1GB DDR2 533 120GB 5400rpm DVD±R/RW ATI Mobility Radeon X1600

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834115246

For a grand total of 1080$.

Thanks for the help.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Congrats on your new system. Let us know how it works for you.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Thanks, will do, someone told me "Nice buy, you should check if you can get the hard drive upgraded to a 7200 rpm, 5400 could be a bottleneck."

What do you guys think of that?

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Well newegg hasn't opened yet, but I doubt they would let me upgrade from 5400 to 7200 RPM, I mean they aren't one of those customizable sites, so they wouldn't do it for me, right?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Newegg is owned by ABS, which builds custom computers, but I'm pretty sure that they won't customize an ACER system. It never hurts to ask though.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No they are purchased from Acer, also it wouldnt be a bottleneck unless you use a heaviily HD intensive app, and 7200rpm drives use significantly more power than 5400, there is a reason they still use 5400rpm drives in laptops.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yeah they said they can void it and then I can buy another item, I figured they wouldn't upgrade it.

I'm not sure what you mean warriorscot, are you saying upgrading it will make a big difference or not?

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
He's saying that 95% of the time, you won't notice a difference between the two drives. Also, you will get better battery life with a 5400RPM then you would with a 7200RPM.

Edited by kidnova, 24 August 2006 - 09:13 AM.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Oh, that's great then. I also heard 5400 RPM will be quieter.

Thanks for the help.

One more question, as you can see in the customer reviews, everyone loves the laptop, but I noticed a pattern in the comments, everyone is complaining about the heat. Some people buy some sort of "cooler".

Anyone know any information on this?

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Way to take my advice! I totally recomended that one. lol. and as for a cooler, not a big deal. It sits under ur laptop and has fans that help to cool it. If you arent really doing anything extremely intensive, it wont get too hot. And sitting on a desk its not really going to matter, besides they are usually big and bulky. The only time you may notice it getting hot is sitting on your lap, in which case you can try adjusting the power settings. Less power = less heat. I really dont think its any hotter than any other laptop ive use though

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Oh okay then thanks, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Sk0rch

Sk0rch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
I got it on Tuesday, but haven't really had time to be on it much, I've been on it like 10 minutes. Because I just moved in to a dorm on sunday and there are so many cool people here and with my classes haven't had time. I'm back home now, and the laptop works great, no problems so far.

I've only played CS for a little bit but I'm sure it will have no problems.

Thanks everyone.