Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

overheating and lagging

• Please log in to reply

Wayen520

Wayen520

• Pip
  • 3 posts
my computer always overheating

and also when I am playing computer game, it lag.

can you help me to solve this problem?

Advertisements

funtmachine

funtmachine

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
For starters, tell us a bit about what your system is (Graphics card, RAM, CPU) then also what games have the problems, and if you know it, what temp it heats up to...

Dave

Wayen520

Wayen520

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Inter® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

512mb RAM

Graphics card: Inter® 82915G/GV/910GL Exprees Chipset Family

playing online game

I think the temperature from 40 up to above 70

and also when I boot the computer, I need to wait 1 or 2 mins, the window work

funtmachine

funtmachine

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Have you got all the latest driver updates for your GPU?

if not, it probably wont fix your problem, but you should check out the device's website and get the latest drivers, as for the system taking 1 or 2 minutes to boot up, sounds like you have a few different problems.
As for the card heating, it could be a number of things. Inadequate ventilation in your case could be one, maybe the fan on your GPU isnt running at full speed..

Here is a link from microsoft's website, dealing with slow startup issues. In my case, when i have a slow startup problem, i usually do all of these things. Also check your bios to see if there are any options for accellerated startup. 1 to 2 minutes is a very long time to have to wait at startup, and suggests a serious problem. Also check your antivirus, clear your startup programs by going;

start->Run->msconfig->startup tab, then disable all. Then restart windows.

that should get you started... try those and post back..

Dave

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hmmm. P4 CPUs "throttle down" when they get too hot in order to avoid burning out. In other words, they greatly reduce their speed when they get too hot.

It takes about 6 seconds or so for a CPU to overheat from power up. One famous example of this is the Athlon XP. It was very common for people to not install the fan properly on them, and in one example one of my clients forgot to take the protective tape off of the thermal tape on the heatsink. The CPU melted through it and burned out in seconds... The frustrating thing was that he expected me to replace it under warranty.

Anyways...back to what I was saying. A visual inspection would be mandatory at this point. Ensure that your CPU fan is working. Make sure that you have removed the protective tape. If you applied thermal paste make sure that you only have the thinnest of layer on your CPU covering the entire surface.

Try that first and then post back here and we can see if we need to look deeper.

Wayen520

Wayen520

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I try your advice, but I can't see the improvement

and also I checked the fans....they are working.

but some problem has come out, when i play computer game, few mins later it switch off my computer

then i switch on the computer, 4 sounds are coming out

It cannot work. I wait it half -1 hour, then switch on, I need to wait it a mins....to see it work

Edited by Wayen520, 28 August 2006 - 06:22 PM.