Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Process SYSTEM Brings CPU Usage to 100%, Making Machine Unusably Slugg

• Please log in to reply

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Please Help!!!!! I have a process running that uses SYSTEM as both its image name and user name, and it is using most of my CPU and it is slowing down my computer quite significantly. My CPU usage begins and remains at 100% all the time, and SYSTEM accounts for about 85 to 95% of that.

This all started when we returned from a week's vacation. I usually don't turn the computer off for longer than a few hours, but it was off for the full week we were gone, and it has been bad ever since we returned. What caught my eye was its inability to open an application in less than five minutes. (I've since trained it to open in two or three minutes in most cases, but before the vacation it was fast.

I ran eventwvr.msc and I received only one application error, and that was for "TeaTime," part of the Spybot program I installed a few hours ago:

Hanging application TeaTimer.exe, version 1.4.0.2, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

My system errors are almost all from Service Control Manager and DCOM. There was a print error from user System:

Sharing printer failed + 1722, Printer Quicken PDF Printer share name Printer4.

Here's a typical Service Control Manager error:

The ZipToA service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Here's a typical DCOM error:

The server {A02ED9E9-8D36-473A-98ED-C253A40765DE} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Here's an error from UsbdpFP:

Driver log enable. Logging level is 1

The errors are usually in pairs every fifteen to thirty events.

I have done the following things in the past 29 hours in an attempt to fix this:

1. Installed and mirrored a much larger hard drive
2. Uninstalled some programs
3. Defragged the new hard drive
4. Cleared cache from all browsers
5. I opened up regedit?, went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler? and deleted the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"
6. Downloaded and ran Spybot
7. Downloaded and ran Registry Mechanic
8. Disabled all of my startup programs but three
9. Read and tried deleting files recommended on two similar posts in this forum
10. Went into safe mode and found the CPP usage still at 100%, with "SYSTEM" still the culprit

I have tried to run my Norton virus scan, but it hasn't worked since I returned -- only 27% complete after running 15 hours or so. There was no viruses at that time. Further, up until our vacation, I had Norton update and run a virus scan each night. It has never found a virus.

The memory shows about 166 to 250 MB on the performance tab of the Task Manager, depending on how much I'm trying to have the machine do.

System: Dell OptiPlex GX240, 512 memory, Intel 2.0 MHz running XP SP2. The new hard drive is 300 gig and there is another 80 gig hard drive.

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Just in case a virus, trojan, or spyware were responsible, I followed the forum instructions for that, running all of the checks recommended. Here is the HijackThis scan results in notepad:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 3:16:56 PM, on 8/19/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5346.0005)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPWinLct.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DpHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spauthserv.exe
C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPFUSMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.5\THGuard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopDisplay.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopCrawl.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://slowreads.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54729
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....cid={SUB_CLCID}
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrueImageMonitor.exe] C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.5\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: SysTray.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {7DD62E58-5FA8-11D2-AFB7-00104B64F126} (Sview Control) - https://www.instantp..._a_stat_ics.cab
O16 - DPF: {F77D9241-5122-46D3-9016-C5AAF07BDE23} (HTMLEdit Class) - http://cmsweb1.loudo...THTMLEditor.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: DPWLN - C:\WINDOWS\system32\DPWLEvHd.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
O23 - Service: DefWatch - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: Windows XP FUS Manager (DPFUSMgr) - DigitalPersona, Inc. - C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPFUSMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Biometric Authentication Service (DpHost) - DigitalPersona, Inc. - C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DpHost.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Client (Norton AntiVirus Server) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec_Client_Security\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SwiftPublish Authorization Service (SPAuthServ) - SwiftView,Inc - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spauthserv.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: ZipToA - Iomega Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ZipToA.exe

Thanks again.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.stevengou...ftware/cleanup/

download that and run it

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
almost a similar case happened to somoe else i helped try this and see if it helps

1.start
2.run
3.type cmd and click ok
4.type chkdsk /r on the cmd window
5.a messege saying that it chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process, just type Y and press enter
6.restart your computer
7.after it boots up it will start checking your hard drive for damaged sectors. just leave it scanning.
8.when finished do the same except that this time on the cmd window type chkdsk /f

sometimes when your computer has damaged sectors it will run extreamly slow because it cannot read system files correctly. using the above commands does not ensure that your problem will be fixed but it atleast will try to repair as many sectors as it can.

let me know if your pc performance improved ..............

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks for the ideas, rushin1nd and aero05. I implemented both, though, and the machine was still slow, CPU usage still at 100%.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
lets try using the system configuration utility. what it does is simply clear up unecessary start up processes, making your pc run much more smoother.

1. go to start
2. click on run
3. on the run box type MSCONFIG and click enter
4. go to the START UP tab at the top of the window
5. at the bottom of that window you will see a DISABLE ALL button, just click it
6. only thiing i sugest having there running is your antivirus, so on the list look for something familiar to your antivirus and add a checkmark to the box
7. click ok and a small window should ask you to restart your pc, just restart it
8. after restart a window should appear just add a checkmark on the box that says DONT SHOW THIS MESSAGE, OR LAUNCH ...............

see if it helps while i take a look at your processes up on top..........

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks, aero05. I had already done that somewhere in this process. It seemed to help a little, especially with the boot. I just went on and clicked off a couple of new ones, though.

Here's a fresh hjt log. I thought you might wish to see it since I've downloaded and used a lot of registry cleaner, spyware cleaner, trojan cleaner, and online virus cleaner stuff since I started the thread.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:12:26 AM, on 8/21/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5346.0005)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPWinLct.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DpHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spauthserv.exe
C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPFUSMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.5\THGuard.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://slowreads.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54729
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....cid={SUB_CLCID}
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.5\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - Global Startup: SysTray.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - %windir%\bdoscandel.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MI1933~1\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky...can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitd...can8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {7DD62E58-5FA8-11D2-AFB7-00104B64F126} (Sview Control) - https://www.instantp..._a_stat_ics.cab
O16 - DPF: {F77D9241-5122-46D3-9016-C5AAF07BDE23} (HTMLEdit Class) - http://cmsweb1.loudo...THTMLEditor.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: DPWLN - C:\WINDOWS\system32\DPWLEvHd.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Acronis Scheduler2 Service (AcrSch2Svc) - Acronis - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedul2.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: Windows XP FUS Manager (DPFUSMgr) - DigitalPersona, Inc. - C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DPFUSMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Biometric Authentication Service (DpHost) - DigitalPersona, Inc. - C:\Program Files\DigitalPersona\Bin\DpHost.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SwiftPublish Authorization Service (SPAuthServ) - SwiftView,Inc - C:\WINDOWS\System32\spauthserv.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: ZipToA - Iomega Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ZipToA.exe

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok lets go back to the windows system configuration utility. except this time we are not going to use the start up teb. this time lets use the services tab, at the bottom of the window you will see an option that says Hide all microsoft services, just add a checkmark next to it. then git the disable all button again. once again just keep anything that has to do with your antivirus and restart the machine

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup

emove that by scan with hijack then check it and click fix

if that dont work uninstall spybot ( my friends pc slow down after install)

Edited by rushin1nd, 21 August 2006 - 10:01 AM.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
also try removing that trojan huter you got there....see if it helps

Advertisements

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks, aero05 and rushin1nd -- I uninstalled spybot and trojan hunter. I disabled all non-Microsoft services except those relating to AVG. I took google off of the startup. No change in performance. Sluggish and CPU usage still at 100% constantly.

I guess I can't just end the process with the image name System and the user name SYSTEM, the one that accounts for an average of 80% of my CPU usage, eh?

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
what is the account that you are using? by any chance is it system?

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
When you say account, do you mean my user profile name in XP? If that is it, then, no, it's not system. And all of the user names in XP follow PSTEP, which is what I named the computer. But I suspect you mean something else?

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hmmm. I guess they are called user accounts in XP, so that must have been what you were referring to. No, I have no user accounts named system...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
SYSTEM is the host of all kind of drivers.

Could be a videocard failing, could be a heat issue

start > run
eventvwr
<enter>

Check SYSTEM and APPLICATION for Red Xs, report back.

In addition, remove all USB devices from your system. If you use a USB keyboard or mouse, try to find a temporary PS/2 keyboard/mouse just to see if it a driver/USB issue with them.