Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Process SYSTEM Brings CPU Usage to 100%, Making Machine Unusably Slugg

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Do you think I can use the Compaq XP Pro CD? It seems to have just Windows on it; the drivers etc. are on a separate disk.

No, because of the Windows Key. It is going to require that you give it the key that is for your Compaq computer. It will not let you use the Dell key.

Even if the OEM CD's XP version would work on your computer, which I seriously doubt, using the Compaq key would make your copy of Windows illegal, and then you wouldn't be able to get updates. And we wouldn't be able to help you any longer. It's against our TOS to help people who have illegal versions of windows.

I'm going to experiment with a technology called slipstreaming, which allows you to pull an operating system off of your computer and/or CD. I will see if I can come up with a solution for ya, either using that CD or the Operating system of your Compaq computer. :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 11 September 2006 - 09:43 AM.

Advertisements

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Cool...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you. I've just been very busy lately. The thing I have in mind will take at least 4 hours of my time, and it isn't even guaranteed to work. Which is why I have to test it. It might not be until this weekend.

However, what you could do, if your problem hasn't spontaneously gone away, is buy a full version of Windows XP. You should be able to buy a copy at a local electronics store, such as Best Buy or Office Depot. They usually go for around $100.

Let me know if you want to just buy an XP CD, or if you can wait for me to experiment, which will probably be this weekend.

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Sorry wrong post

Edited by Bobbydoo8, 19 September 2006 - 09:25 AM.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
My wife has authorized me to spend the $100 for XP, but do you think I can use it to fix the problem without erasing the hard drive? My main concern is the time it takes to reinstall everything, and one or two of the programs I can't get anymore.

Thanks...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Cool. :whistling:

We'll do a "paralell install" rather than a repair, just incase something would go wrong. This will involve a bit more work than just doing a repair, but it will guarantee the retrieval of your data, as long as you follow my directions exactly and ask where you're not sure.

Let me know when you get the CD and we'll procede. Preferably, we'd set aside an hour or two for us to work on it. I am available from 10-2 for the rest of this week, except for the weekend. :blink:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 19 September 2006 - 08:00 PM.