Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Process SYSTEM Brings CPU Usage to 100%, Making Machine Unusably Slugg

• Please log in to reply

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
computerwiz12890, I just read your post. I'll get on it once I close the box.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I doubt it is heat related, but a good cleanning can't hurt.

Go ahead, and then when you are done, follow my instructions at post #28

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I've attached the hijackthis file in .txt formatting.

My cleaning didn't seem to make things faster, but might as well get the hardware cleaned while the software is getting a scrubbing!

Attached Files

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
The forum won't let me upload the Filemon file. It says that I am not permitted to upload a file with that extension. It's a txt extension, so I'm not sure what's happening. Perhaps it's the size? 33 kb.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I'll zip it, as you suggest.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
i was asking arround to many of my coworkers if they knew the solution to your problem and one of them made a sugestion which i found was kind of logical.... he said daownload and install a firewall and put the firewall on to high protection .... this way it will pull up all of the services that are really running in the background even the hidden ones, this way we can check out what is making that system process go up so high and it wouldnt hurt to give it a try, so try downloading this http://www.zonelabs....mp;lid=hotryzap
download the Zone Alarm Pro trial versionand install it
make sure, like i said earlier, its at its max protection level....and on a notepad write down all the services it gives you to allow or block and once again attache it and post it

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Here's the Filemon file zipped.

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Personally, that firewall suggestion doesn't make sense at all to me. The HJT log give you the services and programs that are running. That is plenty enough to look for trouble programs.

Lemme see what I can find in the Filemon log...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I'm almost certain that what I am seeing is corruption of your Operating System. I hope you have an XP CD, because I think well need it.

Attempting Repair without the CD
Before we make any changes, please create a restore point and call it Dial-a-fix. To create a system restore point, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

Now download Dial-a-fix from http://fileforum.bet...ll/1131569373/2

When you download it, double-click on it to extract all of its files. Then open the folder it creates. Double-click on the file called Dial-a-fix.

In the bottom-right hand corner, where it says Registration Center, check ALL of the boxes. Now to the left of that, where it says Unregister objects first, check that. Now click on GO. It will run the fixes.

Reboot your computer when it is done and see if your problem still exists. If so, move on to the next section:

Something else to try

I noticed Google Desktop referenced in the Filemon log. Now that may be absolutely nothing, but it can't hurt to remove it and see what happens.

Use Add/Remove Programs to accomplish this. Reboot and see if your problem is still there.

Doing a Windows XP Repair

You will need an XP CD in order to do this. If you're not sure how to do a repair, check out the following link: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

If you have problems, here is an alternate way to repair XP:

Alternate XP Repair Method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system. After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates and possibly your video card driver.

Microsoft Update

Edited by computerwiz12890, 21 August 2006 - 04:38 PM.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I have XP Pro SP2 on my Dell box (the object of all these hours) but I lost the disk. I still have the product key. The only other XP Pro SP2 disk in the house is for my wife's Compaq laptop. Would it be incompatible on the Dell?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
No, because the key would be different and the Device Drivers would be different.

Hopefully one of my first two suggestions will work. If not, there is one other thing we could do besides a repair, which may work with your wife's CD. Let's see what happens with the first 2 suggestions before we go any further.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
How important is clicking that "unregister objects first" box? It doesn't exist on Dial-a-fix v0.57.7.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
In your case, it probably matters. I don't see why it is not in that version of Dial-a-fix. I have that version and it has it :whistling:

Try the newest version: http://djlizard.net/...-2006-06-27.exe

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
The newer version doesn't have it, either. He does say in his notes that the interfaces for the same version of Dial-a-fix look different depending on the OS. Maybe it's different for XP Pro SP2.

I did a search on his tips page and there was nothing about "unregister."

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I went ahead and ran Dial-a-fix without locating the "unregister" checkbox. The newer version went smoothly but changed nothing with respect to the box's speed after reboot.

I ran the older version, too. It stopped near the beginning of its process and gave me this message:

"There was an error while registering the object C:\WINDOWS\system32\appwiz.cpl (with flag(s): "/s /i"). This is most likely caused by a corrupt object or missing/corrupt dependency. if you received an error about a missing file/module, it means that the file cannot be registered (missing dependency, or should not be registered).

"The generic Win32 error returned (which is not the same as the RegSvr32 error code) is: Access is denied. Win32 error code: 5

"Visit the dial-a-fix tips page for additional information."