Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Process SYSTEM Brings CPU Usage to 100%, Making Machine Unusably Slugg

• Please log in to reply

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
WinXP Unload DLLs: Go to Start - Run - type in "REGEDIT" without quotes and press enter.
The Registry Editor opens up. Now use the lefthand explorer pane to find this key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"
Still in the lefthand pane, right click on the Explorer folder and choose
"New - KEY". Give it a name of "AlwaysUnloadDLL" (without quotes and capital letters are important).
Inside that key change the default string to 1 and close regedit and reboot.

This tweak is perfect for low resource systems.
The drawback of using this is a very small slowdown in the initial opening of programs,
but this isn't half as bad as it sounds.
And the benefit of using this tweak far outweighs the drawback

maybe computer wiz can help you with this

Advertisements

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks!

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
was the problem fixed? or are we still going at it? wasnt able to help earlier cuz of working......but is it done?

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Still at it! Thanks for your help so far. I'm waiting to hear back from computerwiz12890 about my findings from running Dial-a-fix (see above). I suspect that computerwiz12890 probably has a life outside of helping me with my computer problems for free. (At least I hope so!)

I can't believe the great help I'm getting on this forum.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
:blink: yes I do have a life. I was at religion just a few moments ago. :)

I'm almost willing to bet it is corruption at this point. I have something that may work, but in all reality probably won't. Take your wife's XP CD and put it in your CD drive and then do the following:

Go to Start, Run, type sfc.exe /scannow and press enter. When it is finished, restart your computer and see if your problem still exists. If you have any trouble running this, check out the following link: http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

Like I said, I have a feeling it won't work, but it is worth a shot. This command repairs corruption, but because you do not have your original CD, it will most likely not work.

In the meantime, I will ask a malware expert to have a second look at your HJT log, in order to make sure I didn't miss anything, since I am NOT a malware expert.

In addition, if this does not work and there is no malware, I have a friend who is very good with this kind of stuff. I will ask him to take a look. I will do everything I can to help you out without asking you to spend money on something, but if none of this works, and he can't think of anything, you may have to buy an XP CD and license. But I will do my best to avoid that situation.

Let me know how the above suggestion goes. :whistling:

I can't believe the great help I'm getting on this forum.

Believe it. :help:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 21 August 2006 - 07:09 PM.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
here i found a solution to your problem.....hopefully it works. but another question before i continue. the xp cd's you have are they operating system cd's or are they system restore cd's. sometimes the manufatures give you the operating system cd's but with their logo, for example dell pc's sometimes come with the operating system cd. if its the operating system we made it..... post and let us know

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I have both CD's. I'm using the OS CD. The other CD is called Application and Driver Recovery CD.

I notice that the first CD came up with a Windows interface -- nothing about Compaq -- which is encouraging...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes...encouraging. But I had another situation similar to this with a Dell OS CD, which didn't work out too well. I'm reluctant to do a full repair with that CD.

Try the sfc /scannow command (in my previous post) first. And then let me hear back from the malware expert, as well as check with my friend on that particular situation (using an OEM XP CD) and we'll go from there.

Let's not be hasty, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Sounds good. I'm about 2/3 through the sfc /scannow command, by the looks of things.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
if it the os cd ... its grat ..... and now it has nothing to do with a repair! but first lets finish computerwiz12890 sugestion first and hopefully it works

Advertisements

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
computerwiz12890 was right: sfc /scannow didn't work, but it was worth a try...

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
ok then... you said its the operating system cd you have ..... before we do anything, i want you to do the following. back up these files for me

1. go to my computer and open the c: drive
2. go to the windows folder an look for the for a folder named repair that whole folder try to copy it and paste it somewhere on your desktop
3. once again open the the c: drive and the windows folder
4. look for the system32 folder and open it
5. in the system32 folder look for a folder named config and do the same paste it somewhere in the desktop. once you do that post again

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks, aero05. Because computerwiz12890 has done most of the "handholding" (I do feel like a child beyond the WYSIWIG interface... once anysone says "go to start, then run..."), and since he wanted to save using my Compaq disk until he contacted a couple of people, I suppose I should hold off on using it a bit.

Someone on my end suggested clearing ESCD the data in the BIOS, depending on whether one can do it on this Dell. They also thought that the solution might lie in reinstalling the drivers for the mainboard chipset. Whatever any of that means...

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Just got word back, you computer is NOT infected. You are clean.

Someone on my end suggested clearing ESCD the data in the BIOS, depending on whether one can do it on this Dell.

not sure what your friend is talking about, but I don't see how messing with the BIOS will help in this situation.

They also thought that the solution might lie in reinstalling the drivers for the mainboard chipset.

Yes, one of the things SYSTEM handles is drivers. Though from the filemon log, it looked like corruption. However...that could actually be implying corruption of a driver, rather than the OS! I shoulda thought of that. Let's go that route.

Download WinAudit. Start it, and then click on Options at the top. At the bottom, click None and then check ONLY the box that says System Overview and then click Apply. Then, click on the button that says Here. It will record information about your system.

Save the audit to your desktop. This will save three files. Take all three files and put them into a single zip (compressed) folder. Name the folder WinAudit. Post it in your reply to me.

I will use this info to determine what drivers you need and then I will give you links.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
For the sake of not confusing a very confusing issue could we allow computerwiz12890 to work indepentally with Burnt Norton,

aero05 and rushin1nd while we very much appreciate your helping here it starts getting very confusing for Burnt Norton on the steps he should be taken and computerwiz12890 has a plan laid out and a approach to helping resolve this lets have him run with it from here if you see something that may be beneficial in helping to resolve this please pm computerwiz12890

Thanks
Don :whistling: