Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Process SYSTEM Brings CPU Usage to 100%, Making Machine Unusably Slugg

• Please log in to reply

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks. Before I do this, I should tell you what I have under selective startup:

Process SYSTEM.INI File
Process WIN.INI File
Load System Services
Load Startup Items
Use original BOOT.INI

Selective Startup is currently checked, and all of the above items are checked (well, the fourth one is a filled-in square, and the last is a filled-in circle). "Use modified BOOT.INI" is grayed out to the right of "Use original BOOT.INI."

How do these equate with the items you list in Step 1?

Thanks.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You should start out with all of them COMPLETELY unchecked (or empty). Except for the "Use original BOOT.INI" one. Leave that one as is.

Then follow the procedure in my post. Reboot with them ALL unchecked before you begin, because if the problem persists even with ALL of them unchecked, then we have a whole different problem.

This is the part where figuring out the problem becomes time consuming, but it will definatly help us to get to the correct solution.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
After unchecking all and rebooting, the 100% CPU and the extreme sluggishness continues.

I don't know if this is important, though: when I go back to the system configuration utility after the reboot, it has greyed in a checkmark in the load startup items box. When I uncheck it again, apply, OK, and reboot, I'm still at 100% CPU and the checkmark is greyed in again.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Yes, that could be important. Uncheck the load startup items box and reboot. Now go back to msconfig and click on the startup tab. Write down the Startup Item name of everything that is still checked and then post that info for me.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
The only checked box in the startup tab is:

Item: ezSP_Px Command: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ezSP_Px.exe Location: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

(By the way, when I rebooted after setting the System Configuration Utility on Diagnostic Startup, I also got 100% CPU and sluggish performance.)

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I note that all of my unchecked startup items have as their location SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run (except for the SysTray). The ezSP_Px is the only startup item with the HKLM\ preceding this location string.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
it may not be much

but keep your antivirus protection on at start-up and disable ezSP_Px

just try thats all if thats not it then enable it just a long shot

Edited by rushin1nd, 29 August 2006 - 10:51 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
That file belongs to EZ Shield Protector and/or Primo DVD and Drag'n'Drop CD

Let's remove those programs and see if the 100% CPU continues. If one of the programs is missing, don't worry about it.

Once removed, reboot and see what happens. Let me know how it goes.

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I don't have those programs, but I found a site that said it installs when one installs Sony's SonicStage software. So I uninstalled that and rebooted. The ezSP_Px remans and turns itself on with every reboot as usual. I found the following advice on another web site by someone who was running into the same issue trying to get rid of the same file. Do you think it is good advice? What do you think the writer means when he says "remove the key from the registry?

"This little file shows up in the Run section in windows xp on toshiba laptops with the drag n drop cd burning software. Unfortunately it is STILL there after uninstalling it
It shows in registery under the
/hkey_localmachine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run

"The key is named:
ezShieldProtector for Px

"Heres how to get rid of it. First call up taskmanager by right clicking on the taskbar then choosing taskmanager.
Next find the ezSP_Px.exe running. Now kill it.

"Now BEFORE you reboot make sure you remove that key from the registery. If you dont kill the process first before removing the key it puts the key BACK.

"Now it wont load anymore.
After rebooting delete the file from the system32 directory. Remember to uninstall the Drag n Drop cd burning software before doing any of this and of course be sure you dont need the burning software too

"I use nero so I had no use for it."

(This advice is at http://www.windowsqu...TML/000005.html )

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
By the way, ezSP_Px.exe process always shows 0% CPU usage on Task Manager.

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

By the way, ezSP_Px.exe process always shows 0% CPU usage on Task Manager.

That's okay. There may be something going on behind the scenes.

Which right now, I have 2 sides of me. One side saying were headed in the wrong direction again. And the other side saying "I don't wanna pass up the answer, let's try this out anyway."

So...I will give you complete instructions, using that other guy's as a model. That way you won't be confused. :whistling:

First call up taskmanager by right-clicking on the taskbar (at the bottom of the screen) then choosing Task Manager.

If the Processes tab is not selected already, click on it so you can see that tab. Next, find the ezSP_Px.exe program (under the Image Name catagory) and click on it. Now click on End Task

Exit out of that window and go to Start --> Run and type regedit and press enter.

Before we make any changes, let's do a backup of your registry. At the very top of the left panel, click on My Computer. In the menu at the top, click on Registry (or it might be File for XP) and select Export Registry File. In the window that appears, click the drop-down arrow at the top and select your C:\ drive. Name the backup as today's date. And click Save

Now, once it is saved, we can procede. Use the left window to navigate to the following location: hkey_localmachine --> software --> microsoft --> windows --> currentversion --> run

Now look in the right panel for the ezSP_Px.exe. Click on it and delete it.

Now you can exit that window. Go back to Start --> Run type msconfig. Make sure everything is unchecked, like we were trying earlier, and then reboot.

Let me know how everything is, and also check msconfig again to make sure everything is disabled. If you are still having problems, we will use Filemon again, since there will be a minimum of things running and it will be easier to spot what is wrong.

If the problem persists after removing that program, and I don't see anything in filemon, we may have to format and start fresh. I hate giving up, which is why we've worked on it for so long, but there are times when we just have to give in :blink:

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Thanks! I deleted the ezSP_Px.exe file both places, and, when I rebooted, all the boxes in msconfig were disabled (except for the "Use original BOOT.INI" one).

Still sluggish and 100% CPU usage.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
i dont know if this was asked but how old is this computer

Burnt Norton

Burnt Norton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
It was manufactured in Feb. 2002.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I see. Now that we have a bare minimum of things running, let's see what Filemon tells me again. I will give you the full instructions, in case you forgot or deleted it. (then again, we might not have done it yet. I'm helping so many people sometimes I lose track :whistling:)

Please download filemon. After downloading, unzip it to your desktop.

Before we get started, I want you to be familiar with the Capture button so you can find it quickly when we do this. Open Filemon. Note the button at the top that looks like a magnifying glass. Pressing that button will stop Filemon from recording (capturing) the activity of your computer. That is the button you will be pressing when I say to.

Now exit out of Filemon. Exit all non-essential programs (the ones in the taskbar next to the clock. Do this by right-clicking on them and selecting exit or close.) Now we will use Filemon.

Now, confirm that your CPU usage is at 100% (by using CTRL + ALT + DELETE) and then open Filemon. Let the computer sit for about 30 seconds. Return to Filemon (if it is not visible) and click on the magnifying glass button at the top. Now click on File > Save as... and save the log to your desktop. Attach that log to your reply to me.

NOTE: The log will be EXTREMELY long. So please attach it rather than post it out. If necessary, you may even have to compress it by putting it a zipped (compressed) folder.

Edited by computerwiz12890, 01 September 2006 - 09:58 AM.