Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The intel 2.4 from [bleep]

• Please log in to reply

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I recieved a intel 2.4 no name computer in trade for a new computer. The intel was just rebooting a couple times a day when in use. I decided that i could afford to buy a new MB for the puter so i could fit in in another case. I bought a Intel D845PEMY because it fit the 2.4's 533 bus and had what i wanted in the board. Assembled the computer but immediately got a temp alarmon the cpu. It helps when you plug in the cpu fan. Then the puter would not get past the boot up screen even after hitting F4 to continue. Reseated the cpu with grease and reset the bios. Result was the same. Then pulled the IDE cables and rebooted. Finally got to bios. Check things and everything was OK. Reseated the ide cable for HD. Booted up to the bios and was able to see the drive. shut down, plugged in the cd drives IDE and rebooted. Was now able to see the drives. put XP cd in drive and rebooted the computer. Windows started to install and i was formatting the WD HD. Puter shut down while formatting. Tried restarting and only got intel boot screen. Replaced HD with a older 20 gig WD good drive. Rebooted and it did the same thing with the 20 gig drive. Installed a 30 g Maxtor drive but now could not get any video. Installed anoother identical video card( both were 8X 440MX cards) but still no video. The puter is sitting here running for an hour now but no video. Im now out of 8X video cards and the manual says not to use 4X cards. I cannot get to the bios when i cant see anything. For all i know i am there. Now im at a loss. either i buy another 8x video card or disassemble the puter for parts. I've contacted the place i bought the MB from but no answer yet.

Any idea's?

SRX660

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
sounds like a PSU issue. May be going out. Or ur heatsink isnt seated correctly. Or the heatsink isnt working correctly.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi SRX660

That particular board WILL support AGP 4x cards. Basically, the limitation according to Intel, is that it only supports 1.5V AGP cards, so no 3.3V and no 0.8V only cards. Most 8x agp cards will support dual voltage i.e 1.5V & 0.8V (although a few cheaper ones may only support 0.8V). All 4x cards however will be 1.5V so they should be fine to use.

I suggest you try the usual procedures of removing board from case to rule out shorting, remove all components except cpu, hsf, one stick of ram & video. Clear bios. Reseat the video, try different ram & different ram slots. Make sure system speaker is connected

If all else fails, boot it up with only the cpu/hsf installed (i.e no video, no ram) and listen for beeps. If no beeps then either board or cpu broken or the two are incompatible.

Also, may be worth trying a different PSU.

I noticed the board also has a bios setup config jumper (J9H2). Positions are :
Short pins : 1-2 - normal, 2-3 - configure, no jumper - recovery
May be worth playing with this as well. Configure (2-3) means that setup runs automatically & maintenance menu is displayed (assuming you have video display obviously!)
recovery (no jumper) requires a recovery boot disk

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The processor is a intel P4 2.4 533 bus cpu. I also forgot to mention i am using a thermotake 430 watt PS that i was using on a athlon 900 puter i was running with Win 98 for various games and win 98 programs. I bought a athlon 1.2 G computer to do this so i used the case and PS for this intel build. I just tried a 4X nvidia card with no luck. THe computer will run for hours and i get no beeps with the onboard system speaker. It doesnt matter if the HD and cdrom drives are plugged in or not. I pulled the ram out of the computer so it has none at all and still i got no beeps so i guess board or cpu is dead. Pulled MB out of the case and tried booting with ram, video and HD, still nothing.I guess its time to RMA the board back to computer geeks, save the case for something else, throw away the cpu, and lick my wounds. I will play with the jumpers since it will take a while for CG to get back to me on the RMA. Hate it when a piece of hardware defeats me.

SRX660

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
So long as the system speaker is connected workly & working, then pulling the ram & video should cause it to beep a lot. If it doesn't then something is fried.

You said that it appeared that the system may be booting normally but with no video. If this is the case, you should still hear a single beep when you first power on to indicate that the post test has completed. If there's no beep at all, then the system isn't posting.

Its possible I guess that when you first booted the system without the cpu fan connected, that this damaged the cpu. If you can, I would suggest you test the cpu on another board so you know whether the problem is the cpu or the motherboard.