Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

retrieve info from xp hd.

• Please log in to reply

earlst

earlst

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Dell Demtntion 2400 that got fried by lightening. I would like to retrieve some info from the hd, which was not hurt. I have an old Win 98se computer that I would use to get the info. I set the 98se hd to master and the Dell hd to slave, but when I boot the computer it always tries to boot to xp and xp won't load because it is from a different computer. I tried to boot the 98 computer then hook up the xp hd, but when I go to the 98 My Computer, the xp hd doesn't show up. Is it possible to do what I am trying to do? Is there something in the bios that needs changed.
Any help will be appreciated.
Earl

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Windows 98SE doesn't support hard drives that are formatted in the XP standard - NTFS. It is possible to add this on with third-party software, however it doesn't come cheap.

The easiest solution is to find a friend with an XP machine and hang your hard drive off of their machine to get the data.

earlst

earlst

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
You were right. I put the hd in a XP computer and got all my info. Thanks for the help.
Earl