Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic Mp3 Player

• Please log in to reply

Vecktor

Vecktor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A friend of mine recently bought one of those Generic Mp3 players and he found out that whenever he plugs it to the PC it appears as 2 drives. One has 17.7 MBs (H:) and the other has 466 MBs (I:). For some reason he can only put music in the 17 Megs one which allows him to put about 6-8 tracks.

I found that the MP3 player has an option called "OnLine Mode" which shows 3 options: "Multi Drive", which shows both drives, "Only Normal" which shows only the 17 megs drive (H:) and "Encrypted Only" which shows only the 466 Megs one (I:) but doesn't solve my problem (Meaning that I still can't hear the music stored in the [I:] drive).

Someone told me that It may be partitioned, and when I checked both "partitions" one showed "Not appliable" as the type of partition and the other showed "Master Boot Record (MBR)" in the mentioned field.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Advertisements

funtmachine

funtmachine

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Im not sure about this, so dont quote me, but if you could find the device in disk management somehow, and delete the partitions, maybe you could just reformat it with NTFS, and start over again with a clean slate.

The reason im not sure, is beacause, do those mp3 players have any special files on either of those partitions that you will need in order to play your music? even hidden ones?

Coz if so, then reformattings out of the question, as you will lose your files..

have you tried the product website..FAQs, support....

dave

Edited by funtmachine, 21 August 2006 - 08:57 AM.