Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop 0x000000F4

• Please log in to reply

stevepierce

stevepierce

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

My Laptop is refusing to boot, I can get into the BIOS although sometimes it asks for a Data disc Password (there is none). I can sometimes get it to boot into safe mode but its hellish slow, it then freezes and I get a blue screen saying

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

There is an Stop code as follows

Stop 0x000000F4 (0x0000003, 0x830E75B8, 0x830E772C, 0x805F9F88)

It advises going into the BIos and disabling caching or shadowing

It then does a physical memory dump and then shuts down

I understand that this maybe the harddrive gone kaput, but thats just a guess, please help....

I havent tried to disable caching or shadowing yet as i thought id see what you said first.

Many thanks

Steve

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.memtest86.com/

download memtest so you can have a posting for a moderater

unfortunately blue screens are not easy to repair
small word of advice to save what important stuff you have
in your computer start copying to cds

when you a blue screen memory dumps usually last 2 to 5 hours so if you
get another just let your computer sit for 24hours then start it if its ok like isaid start saving to cds

then do the memtest thing after thats all done a moderator will inform what drivers are missing and corrupt

GOOD LUCK

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi stevepierce...

This could be memory as rushin1nd said, but I'd rather suspect either a software conflict (drivers or services) or a bad HDD.

Let's try a couple things. Boot into safe mode, click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, tick "Disable All" at the bottom of the window, "Apply" the change, and reboot. Upon restarting (if it will start) you will receive a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

If it won't boot normally this way, let me know.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 August 2006 - 05:22 PM.

stevepierce

stevepierce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

I took off the back cover and started the Laptop up again with the screen on the table and the base vertical. One of the fans is not working, however it did start up into windows proper and ran slowly but didnt crash. I managed to back up all the important work stuff (phew). I deleted a copy of Sketch Up that was the last thing I loaded on and ran clean up etc, I blew the fan and it seems to be working again.
I couldn't do the memtest thing as it doesnt have a floppy disc drive, could i use a cd or Compact Flash card?
Im still concerned that it maybe something else,,,,or should i replace the fan? Could it still be the hardrive?????

Many thanks

Steve

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
yea cds fine

memtest would be the best way to determine problems

if you have your xp cd that would be a big help in doing repairs

so wannabe1is your guide from here on

good luck steve

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

or should i replace the fan?

By all means...replace the fan! And I wouldnt use the machine anymore until you do to avoid damaging the CPU. Heat may be the whole problem.

Edited by wannabe1, 21 August 2006 - 07:33 AM.

stevepierce

stevepierce

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

i just did a memtest and no errors were reported i cant figure out how to post a report tho. I did one pass.
Does this mean its the fan?

Many thanks

Steve Pierce