Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power supply 12v rail running low

• Please log in to reply

smmalis

smmalis

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have been experiencing some lockups recently in many games. I looked at my monitoring software and it said that my 12v rail was running at about 11.2v. I upgraded my power supply from a 400 watt to a 480 watt and now my 12v rail is only at 11.3v. What is wrong here?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
How are your measuring the voltage? If you are using the system, it might be that it is not correctly reading it. The best way is to use a meter to ensure that the voltage matches.

Are you sure that a 480w power supply is enough? You might have too high of a load still and that is drawing the voltage down. There could also be a problem with something such that it is taking too much power.

smmalis

smmalis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I am measuring the voltage with Asus Probe, a program that came with my Asus motherboard. I doubt that 480 is not enough. I have a 2.2 Athlon 64 and a GeForce 7800GS (AGP). 480 sounds like plenty to me, but I might be wrong.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Was it ever at 12v? It may be that it is just reporting it lower than it really is. You won't know that it is accurate unless you test it with a good voltage meter.

To see if your power supply is enough you need to add up the power requirements for all devices in the system, including disks and USB powered devices without external power.

Other might have a better idea if the power supply is enough based on just the names you mentioned.