Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Looking for a new processor for my system

Im looking for a dual core AMD processor costing around the £115 benchmark.

After looking at different processors I have a few questions to ask:

1. What is the best cache size?
2. What does the cache do?
3. Is it better to have a higher FSB on todays processors?
4. Is a 2.2Ghz dual core processor better than a normal 2.8Ghz processor and as the 2.2Ghz DC processor is lower does it give better system performance than the higher 2.8Ghz one?

I quite like this processor:
AMD Processor
Would the new motherboard I get for this processor need to be able to support 2000mhz FSB? MOst motherboards I have looked at only support up to 1000Mhz. Also I would need a motherboard that would handle my RAM (Hynix PC2700 DDR333Mhz) and graphics card. (chip type: ATi Radeon 9200SE AGP (0x5964)).

I presume that my Dlink wireless card would be compatible with any motherboard I may purchase

After looking around for a bit and searching Google I finally found a mobo that supports 2000Mhz FSB.
Would that mobo support my RAM and also my Graphics card??
Does that motherboard support the processor I like above?

Edited by carsey, 20 August 2006 - 06:08 AM.

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
first of all the links that you posted are dead and dont work see if you can post some that work then we will be able to help you

1) cache sizes vary depending on the CPU and the best cache size depends usually the bigger the better
for example a P4 3.0GHz with a 2Mb cache will perform better than P4 3.0Ghz with a 1Mb cache

2) a cache is just a peice of memery that the CPU can use to store its information the more that it can store the better because then it doesnt have to send it to the RAM then retrieve it again

3) the higher the FSB the better AMD FSB is different to intel FSB and i cant really help you as far as the calculations go but as far as i no intel CPU's are able to procces 4 bits of data per clock cycle so it has a "Real CLock" of 200Mhz so 200X4=800Mhz FSB speed
where from memory AMD CPU's can only process 2 bits of data per clock cycle but they are 64-bit so you get twice the amount of calculations per clock cycle so 200X2=400Mhz 400X2=800Mhz (due to 64-bit)

but again im not to sure about that because AMD call there FSB, HTT and that is different but basically the FSB speed is not 2000Mhz maybe someone else can explain im not to familiar with AMD systems

4) Yes a Dual core CPU is heaps better than a single core because its like having 2 single core CPU's
dual core is so much better for multi-tasking because the CPU can assign one core for a procces and teh other core for another process

but still todays games dont utilise both of the cores to their full capacity

no motherboard will be able to handle that RAM that RAM is way slow by todays standards it would be better to buy new RAM and the RAM that you buy will depend on what CPU and what Motherboard

also your grahics card is AGP and depending again on what CPU/motherboard combination you have you might not be ablt to use it but as i said that depends

please post soem links that work or just detail what CPU and what Motherboard you were thinking of and i will do some researchi hope that helps a little bit

see if someone else comes along and proves me wrong with the AMD FSB thing because im not to sure abotu that

EDIT: also if your thinking of upgrading i would suggest getter a intel Conroe CPU they beat the AMD-FX 64 by a country mile

if your looking at them look at the E6600 or the E6400

Edited by troppo, 19 August 2006 - 07:15 PM.