Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

Kazmcm

Kazmcm

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Kids! who'd have them!!! lol

My daughter was mucking about on the computer on my account (a definite no-no!! :) :woot: ) and deleted a programme by mistake (don't know which one she deleted! :whistling: ) Now Quicktime and Fireworks 8 won't work (being a teenager, Fireworks is a MUST for her!!! All those mad pics they do!!! :blink: :help: ) Can anybody tell me what's been deleted and how to get it back please.

I've tried deleting the programmes and reinstalling them but Fireworks just keeps coming up with "An internal error occured" and when I try to uninstall Quicktime I get the message "Error Number: 0x80040707 Description: DLL function call crashed: QTInstallCode.QuickTimeUninstallProc Setup will now terminate"

Any ideas anybody :woot: :woot: :yes:

Thanks in advance

Kaz

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Kazmcm...

Have you tried a system restore to a date before the program(s) was deleted?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 August 2006 - 06:07 PM.

Kazmcm

Kazmcm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Sure have but for some reason the system restore has never worked! It's enabled but every time I do a system restore it goes through the motions then says after rebooting that it was unable to restore to that time and to try a different one! I've tried several different dates but none works!

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you tried a system restore

go start...all programs...click accesseries....click on system tools ....then system restore ...pick the best restoration point to when your computer was working good

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what program you delete maybe you can put back instasheild

Kazmcm

Kazmcm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I don't know what programme she deleted! and neither does she!

I hadn't paid much attention to any programmes on the computer, but it must have been there to start with.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Take a look in the Recycle Bin. Once you have the bin open, click on "View" on the toolbar, point to "Arrange icons by" and choose "Date Deleted". See if you can pick out what files were deleted, right click on them, and choose "Restore". If you have been unable to complete an uninstall process, this may put things back as they were.

Kazmcm

Kazmcm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
tried that - nothing in the recycle bin!! :whistling:

When she does something she doesn't do it by half - she goes all the way!!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Man...I guess!

Did you delete anything else, or did you try to uninstall using the Fireworks uninstaller? If you used the uninstaller, what happened when you tried to uninstall?

Kazmcm

Kazmcm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
fireworks uninstalled successfully, and then I installed it again thinking she'd deleted a part of that! It installed successfully but when I opened it up again it said it had an internal error again!

I'm thinking she's deleted something from the system but I don't know what!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have your XP installation CD?

Kazmcm

Kazmcm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
i only have a recovery disc. XP was on the computer when I bought it.

I've gotta go to bed now cos it's 2am here. Any helpful posts I'll try in the morning and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help so far wannabe1 and you too rushin1nd

Edited by Kazmcm, 19 August 2006 - 07:04 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://search.netsca.....Fid%3DQ108167

TRY THAT WANNABE1 HELP HIM WITH IT

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That should have the system files on it...whether we can use them or not, I'm not sure.

Click Start, then Run, type sfc /scannow (note the space after sfc) and click "Ok". If you are asked for the installation CD, insert the recovery CD and see if it will extract the files from that. It may extract the files from elswhere on the machine.

Note: This should not start a recovery operation unless you boot from the CD...DO NOT restart the machine with this CD in the cd-rom drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if it's a system file first... :whistling: