Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Online Backup

• Please log in to reply

mjp646

mjp646

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Two weeks ago my computer crashed - hard.I'll be honest and admit that I did not back up alot of my data which makes me a [bleep] fool.I'll be more vigilant in the future but this got me thinking -what's the best way to back up your data?CD's,DVD's,secondary hard drives....the list goes on.I talked to a friend who knows what he's talking about and he says to go with an online backup and recovery service.After some initial research it looks great but it can get a little pricey depending how much you need to back up.I'm looking at 10 dollars a month (give or take) if I subscribe to the service but that seems like a small price to pay considering what I lost.What does everyone else think?Are online backups the way to go or should I stick to other methods?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Honestly, most people tend to just buy an additional hard drive and back up thier information once a month or so, some even more often....but we all hate doing it, os no one does it as often as they should. What it comes down to though, a external hard drive is almost as likely to crash as a online server. I'd go with the external hard drive personally as you can buy a 80GB one for about 90$. Or else have 9 months of service online....with much less storage. Whatever you'd like to do is up to you, but for me this is the way to go. Its the way i went, just 2 weeks ago matter of a fact.
James

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I hate spending money and this is exactly why I started the other thread here in this forum about harddrive size and the tempation of filling it up just because it is big and one is lazy(most people are). I only have 6gb harddrive running so my computer tells me that it is full and therefore I am forced to backup to either a CD or my external harddrive 40gb. One small but important point, all harddrives have a lifespan and can die at any moment but if the stuff isn't really really important then one can use old harddrives from old comps since all one need is to buy an external hard drive box.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I just back up to DVD its the cheapest backup methos a spindle of 50 DVDs costs me 4.7Gb and thats 235Gb of space 8minutes a dvd and it lets me backup plenty of my stuff and its portable and easily copied. Online storage services have disadvantages, 1. normal upload for a home connection means someone with more than a couple of Gbs of data will be there for days uploading, 2. you are reliant on other people to keep your data and take backups recently more than one company has lost all its users data. C. its not a one off cost but a subscription, for 10 quid a month that buys 200Gb of data storage on disk, and if you add it up 120 over a year will buy you a very large HDD.

I prefer optical disks to HDD as they are a more stable medium no moving parts ni the medium and they cost less, HDD are susceptible to damage through shock, electrical surge or magnetism dvds are much sturdier if you keep them in a dry dark place(in a DVD case/wallet) they will last a great many years.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
My isp has web storage, the only use i can see for it is transfering files.
Upload them, then download them at another location when you need it.
I'd never use it for backup.....

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am in agreement that backing up to CDs or DVDs is safer, and better but I back up to old harddrives because then I can modify them and because they are easy to come by.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
yeah i've got a pile of old hard drives. 1 gig to 80. i should do your idea flea.
many have problems though...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats the thing about HDD cheap ones are usually cheap for a reason although handy for backups you might need immediately although ill always prefer optical media for permanent storage.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
No Scot is right, mine is not a serious suggestion, and yet it would be a pity not to use those old harddrives if they are hanging around the house, an example would be that when my children liked a children's program, rather then waste CDs or DVDs, using WinTV I stored the whole lot on one old harddrive, and later when they moved on to the next, the harddrive then stored that instead.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No if you have em may as well use em for something just dont put anything hugely important on them or them alone.