Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UNMOUNTED BOOT VOLUME

• Please log in to reply

brian777danger

brian777danger

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay guys before I tell you my problem, let me tell you my situation and what I did. Two days ago my computer was working perfectly fine. I was on a motherboard that was compatible with my Intel P4 2.8 processor, and I had a harddrive with it.

The other day, my brother gave me a new motherboard and an AMD 64 3200 processor. When I found this out, I wanted to give it a shot and hook up my old harddrive with windows xp on it to the new Hardware Setup. Stupidly, this was the wrong thing to do. When everything was hooked up, I turned on the computer and it would constantly restart, it wouldnt go to the Desktop screen. So I thought about it for awhile and I figured that it must have been a problem with the different hardware setup.

The next stupid thing I did was I booted it up with my XP cd and did a REPAIR. (I did not format or anything) I just did the Repair option hoping that it would copy over new XP files over my old XP files.

After this occurred, bad things started happening.

So, I told myself that this was too much of a trouble so I went back to my old Intel processor and old motherboard setup and hooked up my harddrive like it used to be two days ago. When I turned on the computer, it went to the installation XP screen and it always gives me a FATAL ERROR screen saying that I have corrupted files now and that I have errors.

After that, I decided to boot up the cdrom first with the XP cd. Now here is my serious problem...
Everytime I reach the XP Setup Screen... before any options show up (while it is loading...) After about 15 seconds a crash blue screen pops up and says that i have an UNMOUNTED BOOT VOLUME problem. This happens every single time. I have no idea how to fix it. I even read about going to the Recovery option, but I CANT even reach that point to go to the recovery screen.

So, as an alternative, i went back to my other AMd setup and for some reason it reached the XP Setup screen and i proceeded to go to the Recovery Console and I did this CHKDSK /r. It completed, but when i rebooted it didnt fix the problem.

Now I am back to my INTEL setup. I said to myself "screw this" so i got a BLANK bRAND NEW HARDDRIVe and set it up to the primary ide cable with the jumpers set to MASTER. When I boot the cd rom with the XP cd it still gives UNMOUNTED BOOTVOLUME. I have tried so many things and I dont know how to fix the problem, and i dont even know what the problem is.

This is the strangest thing now... I am thinking WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? I am using an empty harddrive and I just want to install XP on it so that I can retrieve my old data; and it stil doesnt work.

If anyone can help me fix this problem at all please let me know and please let me know what the problem is and why it occurred. Is there some sort of Driver Issue? UDMA Controller? I am clueless about that stuff, so if you can explain that will be really appreciated. Thanks alot everyone.

- thanks in advance.

Advertisements

brian777danger

brian777danger

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. Can anyone help me? =(

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi brian777danger...

The first thing I'd try is to boot into BIOS Setup and set the BIOS to it's default settings (Usually F5 does this, but you need to check with your BIOS version). Set the boot priority to boot to cd-rom first, HDD second, and save the settings. Then try to boot to the cd.

wannabe1