Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP wont boot! ARGH! help mee!

• Please log in to reply

californiafraser

californiafraser

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello computer geniuses,
yesterday i finally decided to install SP2 against my better judgement, and my computer froze halfway through the installation. and now it wont boot. all i get is the XP splash screen forever; i left it on for 2 hours to no effect. safe mode doesnt work.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
fraser

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi californiafraser?

When your computer is booting up, tab F8 until the screen appears allowing you to choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Select that option and see if you are able to get to the command prompt.

Fenor

californiafraser

californiafraser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello fenor,
no, when i try any kind of safe mode, it says press escape to cancel loading sptd.sys and then the same for a347bus.sys, and then reboots. back-up plan? :whistling:
many thanks,
fraser

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What I suggest you do is a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows, using the link in my signature as a guide. Don't worry, after doing this all your programs will still work and you won't lose any files or settings. All this does is replace your operating system files (C:\WINDOWS). You will need to redo all windows updates after doing this.

Please note that not all OEM Windows XP cd's support this repair option. Please post back if you are unable to do the repair and we will pursue other options.

Fenor

californiafraser

californiafraser

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello fenor,
no, the repair option did not work. now, instead of the splash screen going forever, it just stays for half a second then restarts (but it is back to the Home Edition splash).
plan c?
: D
fraser