Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error in GDI.exe problem

• Please log in to reply

fern36

fern36

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I don't know where this topic should be, if it needs to be moved please tell me. I am ever so grateful if someone could help me. I know NOTHING about computers Thanks

I've recently aquired a second hand computer with ME running on it. There were very few programs installed on it. As far as I am aware, the computer was working fine until we managed to get our hands on it! These are the programs we installed and I have no idea which caused the problem, if any, as they were all installed in quick succession:

Lotus Smart Suite 9.8
Mozilla Firefox (tried to uninstall by going to add/remove programs. Unable to. Just click it and nothing happens)
Mozilla Thunderbird (see above)
BitDefender 9 Proffessional Plus
Panicware PopUpStopper free

We also connected (wired) it to our router and is part of the network (BT Voyager 2100) which contains the main computer running on XP (wireless) and an XBox (wired). It had another XP, but it's being repaired.

The messages that continually come up are:

An error has occured in your program. To keep working anyway, click ignore and save your work in a new file. To quit this program, click close. You will lose information you entered since your last save. (then you have 2 options) CLOSE or IGNORE (you can only click on CLOSE. Nothing happens if you click on IGNORE) (This message is always followed by the bellow message)

(Firefox or bdmcom or something else) has caused an error in GDI.EXE (Firefox or bdmcom or something else) will now close. If you continue to experience problems, try restarting your computer. CLOSE (While this error message always follows the above, sometimes this message happens by itself)

The system very, very frequently freezes and we never know what to do. We've tried pressing Ctrl Alt Delete, but most of the time nothing happens and when the box does come up, the only thing I would know to do is click 'end program' when it says 'program not responding' , but it never says anything is not responding! So we end up holding the power button down until it shuts off. I'm aware that we shouldn't do that, but we don't know what else to do.

Frequently a web page or a file on the computer will come up with a completely different font, usually one you can't read like wingdings.

I have tried to run a scan with BitDefender, but up till now it has always caused the second error message and the BD closes down. Right now it is doing it. It has taken 1 1/2 hours and it is only 77% done. It only has a tiny fraction of the files I have on my main computer, yet it's taking far longer.

I can't think of anything else. Please please help! Thank you so so much.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Do you have the ME disk or the cab files on the hard drive ?
It looks like your font folder is messed up

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi, thanks for getting back to me. I don't know what cab files are and there is a restore cd and floppy disk which contains my recovery version of ME. Should I just do that? I think the easiest option might be best!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
if you do a search on the computer for *.cab files that should show them up
also you can look to see if there is an options folder under the windows folder.
Since you have a restore disk I assume you have a brand name computer such as Dell or Hp, etc. If you use the restore you could loose any information on your disk. Some restore disk let you just restore the operating system and some wipe the drive clean so it would be a matter of seeing what option your disk gives you. Also have you had a look to see if the ME restore is turned on?
Once you have restore points configured, it's easy to revert to them. Don't worry about losing information in recent documents or e-mail messages, as System Restore doesn't alter your personal files. You also have the option of reversing any changes that System Restore makes to your computer.

To restore your computer settings from an earlier time:

Click the Start button.
Point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.
Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.
Click a day on the calendar, click the restore point description, and then click Next.
Make sure you have closed all your files and open programs, and then click OK to close the dialog box.
Click Next.
Your system will revert to its previous settings, your time will return to its usual dimensions, and you can go full speed ahead.

fern36

fern36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well, so much for that! I think it was further gone than I realised. It continued to freeze and crash. I tried the restore and entered the 1st of June, and it all went away! I mean everything! There was a blue screen and it didn't matter when i turned it off or anything it always came onto a blue screen. In the end, I figured I really didn't have anything on there that I minded losing, so I used the restore disc. Luckily it worked. Thanks for all your time, it was really appreciated. :whistling: