Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem works fine but still can't conect

• Please log in to reply

xp_even

xp_even

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
For the past 2 weeks I have been unable to use my PC to connect to the internet using my dial-up modem.The telephone line is connected to the PC and then from there I have connected it to my telephone.
Whenever I dial a connection I get an engage tone.However when I disconnect the telephone line connected to my phone and connect it to my laptop and dial,I get connected to the net.

The PC modem shows up as fine in Device Manager.I am really confused .Please help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Check to see that the phone number that is being dialled on the PC is the same as being dialled on the laptop. Also check that it is the internet provider's number being called and not your own. Common mistake.

To check, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right-click on your default connection under Dial-Up (it has a black tick in it) -> Properties.

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have checked the number.It is the same number (service provider's no.) that is being dialled on both .Can my modem be at fault?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

download this click save to your desk topif you have to do this on a nother comp do the same after downloads complete burn it to cd install it on the computer that doesnt want to connect and run it

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I downloaded the fix to my laptop and from there I transferred it to my PC and ran the fix.After rebooting the PC,it still can't connect to the internet.

Any other suggestions??

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
swap the line and the phone modular rj12 plugs in modem over.To check if correct modem when connected then phone should be dead.Modem off then phone will be on.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
in your tools or internet options

your internet connections in your toolls should be ....never dial a connection.... lan settings ....automatically detect settings

i can hear my modem dialing out when i connect can you hear yours in the back of your computer were you connect phone line make sure its inserted in the right jack connection .

did you check to see if there is a yellow triangle beside it in your device manager

go to your control panel...open system..under hardware...click device manager...click the plus sign beside modems check for yellow triangle right click it update driver...you can uninstall it and your computer will automatically install it try those see what happens perhaps a update is all you need

or you can physically remove it from inside your computer look where you plug phone jack in thats where you find modem remove it and reinsert it computer will find it while your there clean your computer with dust buster

MAKE SURE YOUR MAIN POWER IS OFF UNPLUG YOUR COMPUTER FROM ITS SOCKET BEFORE YOU OPEN THE SIDE PANEL

GOOD LUCK

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what error do you get when you try to connect

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
My Internet Options are configured the way you have described.
When I try to dial the number I can hear the modem dialling out.It dials the number ,waits for a while ,then gives a busy tone.Then after sometime it gives the error message:

Error 678:the remote computer did not respond.

Then the modem redials.
I have checked the jack connections.They are inserted correctly.

In the Device Manager,there are no yellow triangles beside the Modem.However,under 'Other Devices->Ethernet Controller' there is a yellow circle with an '!' mark beside it.
Is this causing the problem?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
quite possibly you should see if that driver for ethernet can be updated

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you ever try to unistall your moem in the device manager you could try that the computer will know the changes and reinstall it

its worth a try

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
How to configure a connection to a virtual private network (VPN) in Windows XP
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 314076
Last Review : May 10, 2006
Revision : 4.1
This article was previously published under Q314076
On This Page

SUMMARY

MORE INFORMATION

Overview of a VPN

Configure a VPN connection from a client computer

Troubleshoot VPN connections
SUMMARY
This step-by-step article describes how to create a new VPN connection in Microsoft Windows XP.

You can use a virtual private network (VPN) to connect components to one network by using another network, such as the Internet. Virtual private networks do this by "tunneling" through the Internet or another public network in a manner that provides the same security and features as a private network. With a VPN, connections across the public network can transfer data by using the routing infrastructure of the Internet, but to the user, the data seems to travel over a dedicated private link.

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION
Overview of a VPN
A VPN is a method of connecting to a private network (for example, your office network) by way of a public network (for example, the Internet).

A VPN gives you the benefit of a dial-up connection to a dial-up server, plus the ease and flexibility of an Internet connection. Using an Internet connection permits you to connect to resources all over the world and still, in most places, connect to your office by making a local call to the nearest Internet access phone number. If you have a high-speed Internet connection such as cable or digital subscriber line (DSL) at your computer and at your office, you can communicate with your office at full Internet speed. This is much faster than any dial-up connection that uses an analog modem.

VPNs use authenticated links to make sure that only authorized users can connect to your network, and they use encryption to make sure that others cannot intercept and cannot use data that travels over the Internet. Windows XP achieves this security by using Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) or Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP). A Tunneling Protocol is a technology that helps make the transfer of information over the Internet more secure from one computer to another.

VPN technology also permits a corporation to connect to its branch offices or to other companies over a public network, such as the Internet, while helping to maintain secure communications. The VPN connection across the Internet logically operates as a dedicated wide area network (WAN) link.

Back to the top

Configure a VPN connection from a client computer
To set up a connection to a VPN, follow these steps: 1. On the computer that is running Windows XP, confirm that the connection to the Internet is correctly configured.

For more information about how to test your Internet configuration, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314067 (http://support.micro....com/kb/314067/) How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP
2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
3. In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections.
4. Click Create a new connection.
5. In the Network Connection Wizard, click Next.
6. Click Connect to the network at my workplace, and then click Next.
7. Click Virtual Private Network connection, and then click Next.
8. If you are prompted to, do one of the following: • If you use a dial-up connection to connect to the Internet, click Automatically dial this initial connection, and then click your dial-up Internet connection from the list.
• If you use a full-time connection such as a cable modem, click Do not dial the initial connection.

9. Click Next.
10. Type the name of your company or type a descriptive name for the connection, and then click Next.
11. Type the host name or the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer that you want to connect to, and then click Next.
12. Click Anyone's use if you want the connection to be available to anyone who logs on to the computer, or click My use only to make it available only when you log on to the computer, and then click Next.
13. Click to select the Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop check box if you want to create a shortcut on the desktop, and then click Finish.
14. If you are prompted to connect, click No.
15. In the Network Connections window, right-click the new connection.
16. Click Properties, and then configure more options for the connection: • If you are connecting to a domain, click the Options tab, and then click to select the Include Windows logon domain check box to specify whether to request Windows logon domain information before you try to connect.
• If you want the computer to redial the connection if the line is dropped, click the Options tab, and then click to select the Redial if line is dropped check box.

To use the connection, follow these steps: 1. Use one of the following methods: • Click Start, point to Connect To, and then click the new connection.
• If you added a connection shortcut to the desktop, double-click the shortcut on the desktop.

2. If you are not currently connected to the Internet, Windows offers to connect to the Internet.
3. After your computer connects to the Internet, the VPN server prompts you for your user name and password. Type your user name and password, and then click Connect. Your network resources should be available to you in just like they are when you connect directly to the network.
4. To disconnect from the VPN, right-click the icon for the connection, and then click Disconnect.
Note If you cannot connect to shared resources on the remote network by computer, you can use the remote computer's IP address to connect by using UNC (\\<IP_Address>\Share_name). Edit the hosts file in the Windows\System32\Drivers\ folder, and add an entry to map the remote server's name to its IP address. Then use the computer name in a UNC connection (\\Server_name\Share_name).
Back to the top

Troubleshoot VPN connections
Troubleshooting VPN connection issues typically involves contacting your Internet service provider (ISP), your VPN server administrator, or your router or firewall manufacturer.

When you try to connect to your VPN server, you may not be able to connect, and you may receive an error message that resembles the following:
678: The remote computer did not respond.

930: The authentication server did not respond to authentication requests in a timely fashion.

800: Unable to establish the VPN connection.

623: The system could not find the phone book entry for this connection.

720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods: • Verify that you have connected to the Internet before you try to connect to the VPN server.

For more information about troubleshooting Internet Connectivity in Windows XP, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314067 (http://support.micro....com/kb/314067/) How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP
314095 (http://support.micro....com/kb/314095/) How to troubleshoot possible causes of Internet connection problems in Windows XP
• If you can connect to the Internet but you still cannot establish a connection to the VPN server, and you receive error 623, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
227391 (http://support.micro....com/kb/227391/) Error message: "Error 623 the system could not find the phone book entry for this connection" when making a VPN connection
• If you can connect to the Internet but you still cannot establish a connection to the VPN server, and you receive error 720, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
314869 (http://support.micro....com/kb/314869/) Error 720: No PPP control protocols configured
• If you still cannot connect to the VPN server, the VPN server may not be configured correctly. Contact your VPN server administrator.

If you are the VPN server administrator, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles for additional information about how to configure a Microsoft VPN server:
308208 (http://support.micro....com/kb/308208/) How to install and configure a virtual private network server in Windows 2000
162847 (http://support.micro....com/kb/162847/) Troubleshooting PPTP connectivity issues in Windows NT 4.0
299684 (http://support.micro....com/kb/299684/) Error message: Error 930; The authentication server did not respond to authentication requests in a timely fashion
• If you use a personal firewall or a broadband router, or if there are routers or firewalls between the VPN client and the VPN server, the following ports and protocol must be enabled for PPTP on all firewalls and routers that are between the VPN client and the VPN server:

Client ports Server port Protocol
1024-65535/TCP 1723/TCP PPTP

Additionally, you must enable IP PROTOCOL 47 (GRE).

For information about your firewall or router configuration, and to confirm that your firewall or your router will pass these ports and protocol, contact the manufacturer of your firewall, your router, your ISP, or your VPN server administrator.

Back to the top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Back to the top

Keywords: kbhowtomaster kbnetwork KB314076

Back to the top

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I uninstalled the modem in Device Manager but the PC did not detect any changes so it did not automatically re-install the drivers.

This morning I connected my friend's cell phone(LG CDMA 5130) and used it as a modem via USB to connect to the internet.Using the cell phone as the modem I could get successfully connected( different service provider).Does this mean that my internal modem is not working correcly?

I am confused about that VPN thing.How does it work?Does it help to repair my connection?On which computer(laptop or PC) should I configure it?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok now shut and disconnect your computer from main power source

unplug from wall

open panel where your modem is pull it out reinsert it then start up computer again hard ware will be found this has to be done physically

go to your in control panel net work connections and create a new connection follow prompts finish wizard

Edited by rushin1nd, 24 August 2006 - 12:19 AM.

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
After removing the modem from the PCI slot and re-inserting it,I restrted the PC,but it did not display new hardware found notification.
Then I created a new connection but I still could not get connected.