Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TFT monitor dead?

• Please log in to reply

Cerberus_e

Cerberus_e

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I have a 17 inch TFT monitor from the Sony brand that's almost three years old (so it's still relatively new, especially compared to my other monitors from old computer that still work perfectly like my 386). Yesterday it started to flicker all of a sudden, meaning the brightness level changes every 15 seconds at average (or sometimes faster: multiple times per second). It was very annoying, and after a few hours my screen went completely black. I could press the "input" key on my screen (which basically makes my screen black and turns it on again). Then my screen went on again, but a few minutes later the same thing happened. I was planning to shutoff my computer, but then the flokcering stopped for a while. Then the flickering restarted, and it kept getting worse, until my screen went black again. I could get my view back by turning off the monitor and then on again (or using the input button), but only for 1/2 second.

I shut off my PC for the night but now, a night later, it keeps doing the same, every time I press "input" or turn off and on my monitor, I get my screen back, but after 1/2 second, it's all black.

So, in fact, my monitor still works, it just doesn't work long :blink: For a VERY short time in fact.

I hope the cause is something completely innocent, because it was a good monitor, and not a cheap one (it had very decent image quality). I unplugged and replugged the cables but to no avail. :whistling:

I hope it's a problem with my graphics card, it still has warranty, but my monitor doesn't :help:

EDIT: It IS a problem with my monitor, not the graphics card or anything else. I tried plugging in another monitor and it worked. it tried plugging in the broken monitor in another computer and it didn't work. So it's the monitor that is broken.

Edited by Cerberus_e, 20 August 2006 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements