Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Firewall Problem

• Please log in to reply

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I was originally using Zone Alarm as a Firewall... but after several annoyances I have removed it from my computer, or so I thought. I need to remote desktop to my home computer from my work computer... and for the past three days this has not been working. I used to be able to get around it by disabling ZA and then enabling it again when I returned home.

Regardless, as of its last update even disabling, and now uninstalling, does not allow me to Remote Desktop. I have tried to "turn on" the Windows Firewall, but I receive the error "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service." Should I be reinstalling it, or is there something else I can do?

Thank you for any help...

Advertisements

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
You made a few mistakes.
first you should never disable a fire wall.
statistically reports indicate that a computer wihtout malware protection is infected in 5 seconds after exposure to the internet.

If you look in the settings, zone alarm allows remote access to trusted ips. you should have added your work computer's ip to that the list and use remote access.
i suggest you redownload zone alarm and install it.
i also sugest that you download AVG ANTIVIRUS, and Spybot search And destroy.
Adware se personal is a good adware removal program.

all of this programs will get updates almost every weeks.
update as soon as possible.

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
after donwloading and installing these softwares. use the scan options on all of them.
this should clear up most of the problems

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thank you for the response I, will try that.

Thank you also for your concern, but I am aware of the network risks when I disable my firewall, I work for the computer help center at my university (I am on a campus network). Even still my computer knowledge is somewhat splotchy, and since I am the only person I know who uses ZA I haven't learned much about it. I was under the impression that it didn't allow RD. I do have SpyBot, AdAware, and Windows Defender as well as Norton and I scan my computer on a weekly basis, or after I return home or any other time that my computer has been connected to the Internet and my firewall disabled. Do not worry ^.^ I have had some problems in the past, but I have always been able to fix them (luckily).

I am not sure of the work computers' IPs since I do work on several different ones on any given day. But I shall make note of the various IPs and try to add all of them to ZA.

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
i see
install Ultra Vnc.
its like remote control, just a litlle more secure.
keep a paswword.
make a note of the ip of the home computer.

on the work computer, with ultra vnc, log into the ip of your home computer... use the password.
and your in

ultra vnc has "take control" and screen preview. but most of all... its secure

although again i should warn you that hackers can get through this... which is why a firewall is great

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Would I need to disable ZA in order to use Ultra VNC? The reason I ask is because right now I am utilizing the RD connection to transfer files between my current computer and my new one. After I do that I'll probably reformat this one and install Symantec Client Security (my school provides free acess: yay for tech fees), so I will have a firewall (and one that I am more familiar with... ironically).

I tried the steps you recommended and added my other computer to ZA's Trusted Zones. However I still received the same message I received when it was disabled:

The client could not connect to the remote computer.

Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections.
It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection.

Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues to occur, contact you administrator.

I know that we're not having network problems because not only have other people been RDing successfully, but we (the Help Desk staff) have not been contacted by the Operator ('administrator') about any problems. I suppose it is a step forward that it is allowing me to connect the same way it did when ZA was disabled after this last update... which means that if I/we can figure out whatever is wrong I should be able to connect after this... ha...

Thank you for all your help ^.^

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Right-Click My computer.
go to remote
make sure it allows the remote control

quintessenceanx

quintessenceanx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Sorry it took so long to reply.

I checked for what you asked and made sure the appropriate boxes were checked. When it didn't make a difference I tried rebooting, and still nothing.

Then I tried booting into Safe Mode and scanning for viruses/malware, and nothing came up on the scans.

When I rebooted again I still couldn't do it..

I will be troubleshooting it some more later tomorrow/today. Any thoughts welcome, thank you again for all your advice so far ^.^

nerdcentral

nerdcentral

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
try connecting Win vnc