Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power up problem after removal from power supply

• Please log in to reply

sugy

sugy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer running XP powers up without problem when the system is previously powered down using XP. However, if the power supply is removed and returned, it can take days or weeks of trying before the system will power up. The power switch to the motherboard produces no reaction whatsoever in the system until it finally returns to normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Perhaps your power supply is on its way out and needs to be replaced.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
sounds like PSU is going dead.

sugy

sugy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your advice. I had discounted the possibility of a failing PSU because the system powers up via the power switch without any problem after an XP power down. Perhaps it is more of a struggle for the PSU following an external power shutdown. I shall now move towards changing the PSU.

sugy

sugy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
As a postscript to this, I can report that I jump-started the PSU and it was found to be working normally. The problem turned out to be the 20-pin socket which needed resoldering