Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Another missing-audio mystery...

• Please log in to reply

manchal

manchal

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi all,

Bit of a problem - my laptop hasn't been able to produce audio for the last couple of days. Initially thought something was wrong with the built-in speakers, but even testing different headphones through the audio-out has proven fruitless...

First noticed the problem after attempting to play a DVD; the 'Dell Media Experience' program ran it on autoplay, but the volume was incredibly low and even setting my laptop speakers at maximum produced barely-audible dialogue. Removed the DVD, cleaned it, tried to play it again and there was no sound. Nada.

Rebooted, same problem. Then tried playing MP3s through Windows Media Player and Quicktime - no output on those, either. A few sets of headphones later I was a little bummed out, and no sound has come from my laptop since (apart from a very audible 'low battery' warning, but I'm guessing that comes from an internal alarm rather than the speakers).

Have read through some other 'no audio' posts on G2G and followed the advice (e.g. checking the 'devmgmt.msc' device manager for problems, but found no yellow exclamation marks) - nothing has seemed to resolve my issue. Does anyone know how I could start to sort this out?

Thanks for your time, guys~

Mark

Advertisements

californiafraser

californiafraser

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
mark,
try reinstalling your sound driver. i also experienced your problem a while ago, and updating the driver fixed it immediantly.