Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Issues

• Please log in to reply

margie404

margie404

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled XP.After that I installed another memory stick.Now the monitor is displaying no signal cable however I triple checked and everything is connected.Then the monitor displays power saving mode and goes black.What's the deal?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With the PC off, turn the monitor completey off at the mains, turn it back on, check the standby light is on and start the PC

Remove the new memory stick and try

Is the largest stick in slot 1

Use another PC to download and save this to run on this PC

Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

margie404

margie404

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay I tried this yesterday and hopefully someone can help me.I reinstalled XP and then I installed some more memory.Yes the bigger memory card is in slot one after I was done,I reconnected all of the cables and then turn on the computer.The monitor says no signal cable and then it says power saving mode after a little while the screen will turn black and nothing happens.What can I do now?

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Onboard graphics card or seperate card?

You tired a different monitor to see if the problem still happens?