Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows sounds don't play

• Please log in to reply

johnnieguitar

johnnieguitar

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Not only do I have the missing volume control problem (which is being addressed elsewhere) but also:

1. I don't have the Windows sounds, e.g. the start up tune;
2. I can't hear audio on some video clips in websites, e.g. online guitar lessons;
3. WMP apparently plays MIDI files, but I can't hear them;
4. In the "Sounds & Audio Devices Properties" dialogue box/Audio Tab, the MIDI Music Playback window is blank. I can select "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth", apply it and OK it, but it doesn't help and, when I re-open the dialogue box, the window is blank again.

Strangely, I can play MIDI files in my sequencer program (Logic Hit Kit) & ITunes, and online guitar lessons etc play perfectly if linked to e.g. Quicktime.

If anyone can throw any light on these problems (which I'm sure must be linked somehow) I will be very grateful.

Sky

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi johnnieguitar...

Are all the default settings set for the audio device you have installed?

Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon.

Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the Sounds Scheme drop down menu.

Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that Your Sound Device is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menus.

Under the "Voice" tab, make sure the Your Sound Device is listed in both boxes...if not, select it.

Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar".

Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

Now look down by the clock...is there a little speaker there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Reboot

Sound?

wannabe1

johnnieguitar

johnnieguitar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
HI Wannabe 1, thanks for the quick reply. I've read some posts on related topics, tried and checked the things you suggest, and unfortunately nothing has worked so far. I've also tried a few of the fixes in Kellys Korner, and the stuff in Windows support, all to no avail.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm...

Any yellow ! or ? in Device Manager?

johnnieguitar

johnnieguitar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No, none at all

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, and type services.msc...click "Ok".

Scroll down the list to Windows Audio. Under "Status", is it Started?

wannabe1

johnnieguitar

johnnieguitar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes it is. Can I say that I've tried all the things suggested in the "Speaker Icon Is Away" thread. The answer to that one may in fact point to the answer to my additional problems.
More info: I believe I have integrated audio courtesy of Realtek AC'97 Audio.

johnnieguitar

johnnieguitar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I need to go to bed now, and go to work tomorrow so, if you post any suggestions in the next 18 hours or so, please don't think I'm ignoring you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is your sound device a C-Media Wave Device?

johnnieguitar

johnnieguitar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'm sorry, I have no idea. Is there any way of finding out.?

I'm using an Asus barebones system (Pundit P1-PH1). The spec sheet on the Asus website shows "Audio " as RTL ACL655 which I believe is a Realtek driver, but system information obtained from the Astra32 application shows that the sound chip is an IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller from ATI Technologies. Is this helping?

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
try using soundman. soundman.exe is the manager for ac97, it will provide you with plenty of configuration options.

johnnieguitar

johnnieguitar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the response. None of the settings in soundman affect my problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...let's regroup a little.

Can you play audio cd's on the machine?

Is it just web based sound that's the problem?

Have you checked the file associations to make sure the files are assigned to a player?

Do you have the driver cd that came with your machine?

johnnieguitar

johnnieguitar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, I can play audio CDs;

Not just web based sound. I downloaded a program which should enable me to see and hear online guitar lessons - I can see but not hear;

Can you explain how I check the file associations please?

I have the CD for my Asus motherboard, and I have tried downloading the Realtek AC'97 audio drivers from it several times without success.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open Control Panel and double click on "Folder Options". Click on the "File Types" tab. Locate an audio file type in the list at the top and click the "Change" button. In the resulting window, find your player in the list, select it, and click "Ok". Do this for each of the audio file types you have problems with.