Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows updates wont install

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens when you try to use any of the Office programmes?

Advertisements

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
it asks for intials and product key, but if i uninstall it, it will get rid of word processor and i need that, it doesnt ask me for the product key to use word processor

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Be careful with this, but go to add remove, click change remove for Office

If it says are you sure you want to remove this, click cancel

If it says, repair, remove, modify, click modify to look for products with ticks, remove all the ticks but the one for Word, click apply

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
[removed]

Asking for CD keys is against our terms of service.

Edited by admin, 28 August 2006 - 05:57 PM.

magaen

magaen

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Okay since i last posted i had problems actually getting updates to work, that problem has been solved but now im having the same problem as the chap who is saying that those 3 updates wont install??????

The exact same 3 updates have been popping up on my computer for 2/3 days now and when i try to install them they fail?? but the thing is i have office 2003 but still they wont download!!!

I am going to try what keith has suggested to the other person and if it does not work then it could be a problem maybe with the installation/updates.

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok i tried that and i got two choices remove or change when i click on change it brings up a screen with three more choices, add or remove features, reinstall or repair, and uninstall

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
could be a shot in the dark but you can give a try

can you do system restore to a time it was working before expiry when you had your documents saved

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i cant really do that cuz i havent set a restore point forever so ill lose everything

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If system restore is on it sets them regularly

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i could do that but i dont know when all this started its benn goin on for a while

Advertisements

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
do you have any other suggestions

Edited by unearth203, 29 August 2006 - 06:25 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked for recent restore points

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not sure where the reply to this went

ok i tried that and i got two choices remove or change when i click on change it brings up a screen with three more choices, add or remove features, reinstall or repair, and uninstall

Choose add or remove features then untick the problem ones, make sure you leave the ones you can use ticked

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
does your computer have a recovery program

i know HP does if it does use it and you wont lose any data or programs you just update the computer

all programs just need to activated but you should get your free trials back and your data in those programs are there

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok yes i have checked for restore points, and it sets them daily, and i dont know if my comp has a recovery program, it is a compaq and they are the sisterly company to hp so i think it should, and when i go to add or remove features and tick the ones that i dont use it says "installation ended prematurely because of an error" then says "fatal error during installation"