Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chat site cat fight

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Read this article in the weekend paper about a guy who got into an argument in a forum chat site and the guy who he was arguing with (a lawyer) traced him to his computer at work and contacted his employers resulting in the guy being fired.

Story is here: http://www.news.com....5006010,00.html

What do you think?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I haven't a comment to make on the subject because I simply don't have all the facts I believe. But I can say that this is why I never go in for chatting where an answer is expected of me or where things can get personal, or even lead back into the real world then.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well thats what you get for hanging around forums full of whackos and starting arguments.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
That gentelman lost his job. I worry what could happen to my kids all the time. To prove a point I tracked down my daughters friend on myspace, and called her home phone to prove it (it was simple, too simple).

One rule is no chatroom/personal blogs here, and I have instructed my kids again and again about interaction on the web. But you cannot stop a 17 year old, IM is a integrated part of thier lives.

Wish they made blinders like the race horses wear, kinda a new parental control thing. Invent that, and your the new Bill Gates.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its easy enough to take precautions there is plenty of anonymous free proxies you can route your traffic through and the use of blocking programs like peerguardian, most of it is designed for p2p and bypassing corporate security but there is no reason why normal people who want to be cautios cant use it you can also encrypt your internet traffic. Browsers like torpark a combination of portable firefox and onion router can offer a little more protection if you are worried and still want to use a blog it measn you can do so with a greater degree of anomnymity.