Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATI S-Video in not working on X1900XT

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok heres how it goes.

I would like to record some programs off my TV which is in a diffrent room. I would like to put these onto DVD. Only problem is I recently ordered a 50FT S-Video cable which works fine as I have tested it with other equipment.
However I need to record off the Sky box in the living room. I am using a little adapter thing which plugs into the extra SCART at the back of the Sky box and then at the back of this adapter is S-video composite video and left and right audio. There is a switch which is obviously set to OUTPUT (there is INPUT as well). So I connected the S-Video cable from this adapter to my graphics card via S-Video IN and also connected some audio cables which become a 3.5mm jack so I can plug it into the back of the computer via line IN.

However this is where the poblems arise (':whistling:', 'smid_15')
ph34r.gif
Recently before I ordered the cable I tried composite video and that worked and recorded fine on my computer.

Now I have S-Video cable the following happens: I open a program called Magix Movies on CD and DVD 3.0 which I reqularly use to record off my dv cameracorder. However just a black screen appeared and a bit of whitish stuf moving up and down. I took out the S-Video cable but it made no diffrence to the whitish stuff it was as before. So I plugged it back in checked the settings this is the only option that comes up : ATI T200 AVStream Analog Capture (VGA- D Show). No S-Video or composite selection now this program worked fine with composite. Oh and I could hear the program due to line in.

Then I opened up after closing magix i opened up windows movie maker. I selected record it said : This is an unknown video format. Check that the capture device is supported. So then i select ok and a settings selection appears. From there I selected 'S-Video' as the input and clicked ok however the same message appeared. sad.gif

So I now opened up my final program Power Director Express. It worked on this........ except it comes in black and white. I checked ALL ATI main setting in control center and all other settings you can imagine and PAL I, B etc made NO diffrence.
See I paid a good £25 for this S-Video wire including P and P and it is a god quality wire bought from partmaster.co.uk. Again audio is there due to line in.

Why is this happening please someone help me. I have checked all settings so what could it possibly be? The adapter? The card? The programs?
surrender.gif
confused1.gif

I need this sorted ASAP as I already missed recording todays episode of the brilliant Thunderbirds (you may not like it but its like marmite you either love it or hate it) and we are near the end of the series so they will stop showing it after the last episode which isnt too far away.
The solution is not to out and buy it as there are plenty of other programs I would like to record and ATI have produced S-Video IN for a reason and I dont see why a top end card wont allow me to record via S-Video.

Help please.
:blink:

Edited by Mitesh, 21 August 2006 - 04:59 AM.

Advertisements

Mitesh

Mitesh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
SOMEONE ANSWER PLEEEEASE FOR GODS SAKE PLEEEEEAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

SOMEONE ANSWER PLEEEEASE FOR GODS SAKE PLEEEEEAASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

:whistling: :blink: :help: :) :woot:

Edited by Mitesh, 21 August 2006 - 10:27 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
For longer lengths I would suggest running coaxial cable (RG-6) and purchase adapters to convert the coax cable's F-type ends to S-video. You can get 100 feet or so (30m) with this method. Longer than that I would suggest a distribution amplifier. I use them in industrial video applications and find no problem with doing so.

Walter Graff
Producer, Director, Creative Director, Cinematographer
HellGate Pictures, Inc.
BlueSky, LLC
www.film-and-video.com

It sounds like you have a cable issue. try moving pc so I can be tested with a shorter cable. It could also be quality of cable issue.

It's also possible that your video card has issues. Is this an "all in wonder version?"

carsos00

carsos00

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same ati card (ASUS version) and have the same problem with the s video input....blank, I know the signal is OK by testing it straight into my s video input on my monitor and worked fine. I want to record bits and bobs from TV etc, and there seems to be a lack of information on this fault with ati x1900 cards.