Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

install another IDE drive (DVD-RW)

• Please log in to reply

help_me_pls

help_me_pls

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I have a DVD-RW drive which currently is connected in an external USB case. Now I want to install it into the CPU where I already have a 120GB HDD (primary), a DVD-ROM drive (secondary:master) and a CDRW drive (secondary:slave). The two options are:

Option ONE
Install the DVDRW with the other 3 drives

OR

Option TWO
Remove the CDRW and install the DVDRW

I prefer option ONE :whistling: , but I thought that it may decrease the performance of the HDD if I install another drive with it.

So which option is the best? and how do I perform the installation? (e.g. which should be master and slave)

THANKS for any suggestions.

Advertisements

funtmachine

funtmachine

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
surely your dvd-rw drive is cd-rw as well.....

i would remove the cd-rw, and put in the dvd-rw

oh yeh, on your secondary IDE channel (your 120Gb HDD will be on the primary), have the dvd-rw as the master and your dvd-rom as the slave... I have never used a dvd-rom drive b4, so im not qwuite sure on that one... i spose it depends on which you use most.. Personal preference.

dave

Edited by funtmachine, 21 August 2006 - 08:42 AM.

help_me_pls

help_me_pls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
I actually use the DVDRW most.

THANKS funtmachine for your opinion

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You could put the cd-rw as a slave on the primary IDE channel, then you will have all the devices.

Another option is to put the cd-rw as a slave on the second IDE channel, with the DVD-rw as the master and the dvd-rom as a slave on the first IDE channel. That way if you are writing to the devices from the hard drive you will be running on separate IDE channels.

help_me_pls

help_me_pls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
what is the disadvantage of the drive that will be connected with the HDD (primary)?

funtmachine

funtmachine

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
without any real knowledge about it, i would assume that if you have the dvd-rom connected with the HDD, then some disk accesses to the HDD could be slower if you were using the Dvd-ROM drive, and vice versa..

i spose you need to ask yourself, do you really need all the devices connected at once, just for the sake of it?
Can you see yourself needing a DVD-RW and CD-RW at the same time?

Dave

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Each IDE channel is limited in the amount of data that can be transmitted over it, so if you are using each drive a lot, it will slow down the other one. Often this is not a big deal, but if you are writing to a writable media, like making a DVD or CD, especially from disk, it is best to have the source and destination device on a different channel.

The reason I suggested putting the DVD-ROM on with the hard drive is that you don't write to that and while it might be slower if you do installs with that device with respect to going to the hard drive, you could use the other drive and typically you don't do installs all the time. If you constantly access the DVD-ROM while also accessing the hard drive, then it would be best to not put it on the same IDE channel.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
There is absolutely no sense in keeping both the CDRW and the DVDRW. The CDRW is obsolete and the DVDRW can accomplish the same thing. Put your two optical drives on the secondary channel and reserve the primary channel for your HDDs.

help_me_pls

help_me_pls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thanks to all

I decided not to use the CD-RW and put the other two drives on secondary.

But now, I still have to decide which will be master or slave (DVD-ROM or DVD-RW).

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Personally, I would put the DVD-RW as the master.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

There is absolutely no sense in keeping both the CDRW and the DVDRW. The CDRW is obsolete and the DVDRW can accomplish the same thing. Put your two optical drives on the secondary channel and reserve the primary channel for your HDDs.

It depends on the speed since it can still read CDs. Also, nothing lasts forever, so using the CDRW to make CDs reduces the usage of the DVD-RW.

I have both in my system and use both, so there is some sense in keeping both.

help_me_pls

help_me_pls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Also, nothing lasts forever, so using the CDRW to make CDs reduces the usage of the DVD-RW.

In fact, thats what I'm doing, burning CDs with the CD-RW and DVDs with the DVD-RW, although it burns CDs too. But as I've asked in post#9:

Which will be master or slave (DVD-ROM or DVD-RW)?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The usual practice is to set the first drive on the EIDE cable to master, and the second one to slave. It does not matter which one you decide to put 1st, just set the 1st one to master, and the 2nd one to slave.

help_me_pls

help_me_pls

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

The usual practice is to set the first drive...

Sorry, but which is the "first drive"? Is it the DVD-ROM?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I would make the DVD-RW the master since it is more critical when writing to it.