Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kinda Dumb Question - Forcing XP To Rescan Installed Hardware

• Please log in to reply

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Without reinstalling XP, is there a way to purge all Windows previous multiple possible hardware configurations and have it start fresh with what's there now?

It seems every time a USB device is installed, removed and placed in a different jack, another configuration is saved. After a couple of years and tons of new devices or port shifts, boot up is getting bogged down trying to figure out what the [bleep] I've done now.

I'm not the least bit shy getting deep into the registry so fire away if that's the way to go.

Advertisements

californiafraser

californiafraser

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello,
try the device manager. go to properties on my computer, under the hardware tab, and then device manager. from there you can disable hardware that you dont want to use anymore.

Cap

Cap

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for that advice but unfortunately it does not delete any previous possible configurations. It will only add to them. But I will venture into the DM to see if there isn't a setting I've overlooked.

I'm tempted to "whack" a few entries in ENUM just to see what happens but was hoping for some learned help if that move is wise.

Thanks again.

Edited by Cap, 21 August 2006 - 10:55 AM.