Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need advice on troubleshooting MLB

• Please log in to reply

The Rabid One

The Rabid One

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Had a power surge as a result of the city. It caused the cable modem to actually throw sparks! Also the PC (a Dell) did not power up afterward. The PC was on an APC surge protector at the time.

Here is what I did:
Replaced the dead power supply with a new one.

Still the system will not power up. I get a green 'Power LED' on the MLB and the LED on the power switch on the front panel shows green. It will not power up at all, no HD spin up, no video, dead as a hammer.

OK so I figure the MLB is fried. But I can't afford to replace the PC and junk it. Is there a MLB that will go into the Dell case? Or is there something I missed in troubleshooting that is particular to Dell MLB that I overlooked? I unplugged all non essental PCI cards before trying to power up in case one of those was causing it not to power up. The video card is not integrated into the MLB.

Here are the numbers off the MLB.
EZ1088 Rev. A01
A63639-404

PC is a Dimension 8200

Any suggestions? :whistling:

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
before you go replacing things it's better to swap some parts to make sure which ones dead and which ones are ok. Computer shops will do it for 20$, you can do it by borrowing a friends pc. Last time my comp got fried it took the psu, the mobo, the gfx card, and the hard drive. It's quite possible that you system took the same hits. I would say check the hard drive, cause mine was fried huge.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
if you need be you can Call Dell can tell them you need a MB for your Dell PC..They will ask model number and things of that nature. The downside is that it will proably cost a pretty penny to get a MB from dell.

The Rabid One

The Rabid One

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I followed the advice and swapped out cards between the surged computer and a good one. Found pretty much video card, etc cards were dead. I plugged the video card from the good computer into the surged computer and still no power up, dead as a hammer.

Ok it looks like the MLB is zapped. Now the question whether the CPU is viable or not arises since the MLB appears to be dead.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement MLB for the Dimension 8200? Who has a motherboard form factor that will work in the exsisting case? I think going to Dell is pretty much a situation where the cost of an official Dell MLB and CPU (supposing the CPU is dead) would cost much more than a motherboard made by someone else.

Thanks.

Edited by The Rabid One, 22 August 2006 - 09:48 AM.