Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error message - please help

• Please log in to reply

dustygal

dustygal

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
[size=3]i keep getting this error message. could someone try to let me know what it means. i hope this is where i should post it if not please let me know where it needs to go.
message: power surge on hub port - a usb device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port.
is this a serious condition?
thanks for any info
dustygal

Advertisements

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
how many devices are conected directly to the pc? a normal computer should have from 4 to 6 devices conected, and its highly recomended that the devices attached come with theyr own power otherwise the computer might have problems do to the necesary voltages that the power supply generates. if you add to many USB devices and none have theyr own power most likely your computer will freeze, shut down or restart. make sure that the devices added have their own power.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
To add to aero05's comments, the USB ports are rated at 5 amps. If you use even a laptop HD in an enclosure you may have trouble as some can pull 7 amps to run them. The better quality external drives will have an adapter to power them. I have a couple dozen external kit's with USB hd's that people just gave me when they did not work properly. This also applys other USB hardware that can cause a surge when first plugged in.

SRX660

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
double post

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 21 August 2006 - 03:19 PM.