Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An Experiment With the E6400

• Please log in to reply

apritske

apritske

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm going to attempt an overclock of my E6400 at stock voltage.

The E6600 is said to stumble around 3.6mHz, I've read things as ridiculous as 3.8mHz and up to 4.0mHz for the E6400 at stock voltage. I'll let you guys know what my outcome is - give me about two weeks (still waiting on that RMA motehrboard).

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I think you mean Ghz, the E6400 will go higher because when you increase the cache size you increase the difficulty of acheiving higher clock speeds however since you increase the cache you can lower the clock speed, an E6600 at 3.6 or even lower down to 3.2 or 3Ghz will be better than a E6400 at 4Ghx because it can do more work per clock cycle and has a head start performance wise. Even with fairly significant overclocks it takes alot for a 6400 to beat even a stock E6600.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Here is the link to an article where they overclocked a 6300 and a 6400 and were able to achieve excellent performance gains. Of course a lot of it depends on the mobo and bios being used:

http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2802