Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsers crash when uploading files

• Please log in to reply

rob_jewitt

rob_jewitt

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi there

My browsers have begun to behave quite oddly. I usually use Firefox 1.5.0.6 but I also have IE6 installed (both with the Google toolbat installed). When using Firefox say, to browse for a jpeg to upload to Imageshack, my browser will instantly vanish/crash (by this I mean it closes down). If I then relaunch it I get the restore from crash dialogue box.

I used to avoid this by using IE6 to upload jpeg's but now even that crashes/vanishes. In fact, it even caused my PC to reboot and give me the Windows has recovered from a serious error message.

Bizarrely, this does not happen if I use IE6 to access my work webmail and attach documents (eg .doc or .jpg). Neither does it happen every time with IE6 (but the crashes are the majority for Firefox)

I have no idea what to do about this and would really appreciate any help or advice

Edited by rob_jewitt, 21 August 2006 - 11:40 AM.

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi rob,

We meet again. :whistling:

Am I correct to understand that this only happens with .jpg files?
Did you try pictures with other formats like .png and .gif ?

Can you open a command prompt and type this command:

assoc .jpg

There has to be a space behind assoc. Click ENTER and there wil be a response which should look like:

.jpg=jpegfile

Please let me know what the response is and also if your Windows is fully up-to-date.

Regards,

rob_jewitt

rob_jewitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello Pieter

How are you?

This is an irksome complaint/problem as it doesn't happen all the time (grrr). It would also occur (only twice and with Firefox only) when attempting to upload a torrent file. It now seems to be okay and I'm not having the issues I was having. I did have quite a few open programmes running at the time...

I have the latest high-priority Windows Updates.

I tried the test you mentioned and (after leaving a space between assoc and .jpg I got the following dialogue box saying:

"Windows cannot find 'assoc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search"

Edited by rob_jewitt, 25 August 2006 - 08:30 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
That computer is running XP, right?

Click Start > Run > and copy this command into the window

sfc /scannow

Click OK to execute.
This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.
It might ask for your installation CD_ROM so if you have one, keep it handy.

rob_jewitt

rob_jewitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi again

Yeah - XP SP2 fully uptodate.

I may have a problem with the installation disk as this PC a packard bell iXtreme 6082 came with a protected partition drive with XP on there instead of install disks

Edited by rob_jewitt, 26 August 2006 - 08:21 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
You can still run the sfc command.
If it asks for any files we'll at least know if and what it is missing.

Regards,

rob_jewitt

rob_jewitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello again,

Sorry about the delay - I was out the country for a bit

I ran the command a few times bedore I went away last week and it seemed to complete its scan without finding any problems.

However, when I first attempted to reboot my PC after getting back I was greeted with the Blue scree of Death and the following message:

*** STOP: 0X0000008E

(0XC000001D. 0X804DC2BB, 0XB7127518, 0X000000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory

The PC frooze and I rebooted it and it was OK on the reboot. However, when I turned it on today I was greeted with a dialogue box telling that the system had recovered from a serious error and that it wanted to send a report to Microsoft. I clicked OK to send it off. What happened next is alarming - I was directed to a Microsoft report page which told me that my report was corrupted and that this only happens when there is a serois problem with my system. I was advised to backup my files and then check to add/remove any new programs.

I am sensing a reformat on the cards :whistling:

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Hi rob,

Can you check the event viewer under administrative tool in the control panel to see if you can find a filename to go with that error?
Usually these kind of errors are hardware/driver related.
If we had a filename that could narrow down the possibilities considerably.

Regards,

rob_jewitt

rob_jewitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Oh my goodness - I just looked in Event Viewer for the past 2 days and it looks hideous.

I booted up about 8am or a minute or two after.

At 8:05:35 there are 2 errors, both in Service Control Manager. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for so I've included a screen grab of that morning's boot-up.

Posted Image

The "Save Dump" appears to be the error message that I referred to earlier and this is what the Properties tab showed

Posted Image

Is this the right thing?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Can you post the details of one of the Errors that have Event 7023
I think they will show the name of the service that crashed.

The 7026 looks more like a result of the other.

Advertisements

rob_jewitt

rob_jewitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Grrrr - I didnt see this last post until too late (my fault) and now I can't go back far enough in Event Viewer to see the original 7023 error. However, I get the 7026 and 7023 error every time I boot up (I think its the driver for Daemon Tools virtual drive). This is what the 7023 error looks like:

Posted Image

Edited by rob_jewitt, 08 September 2006 - 01:14 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
If I remember correctly that means the driver for one of the USB apps is missing.

Do you have anything connected to your USB ports?

rob_jewitt

rob_jewitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yeah, a few things:

1 x Western Digital external hardrive (not turned on at boot up)
1 x SB4100 Cable modem
1 x usb extension cord

and

1 x apple ipod dock (firewire)

I'll disconnect the usb extension and the external hard drive and reboot to see if that produces the same error.

Edited by rob_jewitt, 08 September 2006 - 11:23 AM.

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
OK. Let us know. I think I'll have to refer you to the Hardware forums, but we'll see.

rob_jewitt

rob_jewitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Pieter....

Here goes:

I rebooted after 1 hour of pc being off with only the modem plugged in via usb and the pc frooze on the windows startup screen (it does this about 50% of the time). This is what event viewer says:

Posted Image

Event 7016 is a new one on me:

Posted Image