Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browsers crash when uploading files

• Please log in to reply

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
The Service Control Manager will report an error 7016 (The "sevicename" has
reported an invalid current state 0) whenever the SCM querys a third party service and does not receive an
expected response code.

The SmartlinkService belongs to a communication device which sounds logical in light of your problems.

So the most logical thing to do are:

1. See if that service is actually running. If not, start it and set the startup to Automatic.
Let me know if it helps.

Click Start > Run > services.msc > OK
to access the services control panel. Select and rightclick the service you want to manipulate.
To change the Startup Type use the drop-down box on the General Tab under Properties

2. Re-install the drivers for the Device. Most probably your modem.

Keep us posted,

Advertisements

rob_jewitt

rob_jewitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK I checked in services fro the SmartLink Service. It was already set to automatic but I started it up and hit OK.

As for finding my drivers, this is going to sound a bit silly, but where would I find them (would they be in the System32 folder in WINDOWS)? How do I know which driver relates to my modem, or should it be obvious?

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Oh I'm sorry mate.
I assumed you would know.
If you follow the instructions here:
http://helpdesk.wisc...page.php?id=968
but aim at your phone modem rather then your network card.

Let me know if that is clear enough or we will get some help from the hardware crew we have here.

Regards,