Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK....

• Please log in to reply

loslobas

loslobas

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have installed WinXp Pro on a new IDE HDD, the first half of installation is fine, then after it reboots to finalise the Xp Pro installation I receive the following message after Verifying DMI pool data...'DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'.
I have my bios set to boot up via the HDD after its initial boot from CD-Rom for Windows.
I noticed in the bios that each time after the first Win Xp installation the IDE channels would be blank when initiallly they displayed my HDD, CD-ROM and DVD devices - for some reason the devices will not stay in the bios, I have to keep manually putting them in. I am pressing F10 to save the change so it is not that.
The HDD is brand new and I receive the same message with the SATA drive too. I have tested these drives singly.

I have run out of ideas, I believe I have updated the bios from the Gigabyte website.

I would appreciate your expert help as my new system is sitting in a corner collecting dust! Cheers :tazz:

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI (motherboard)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
GV-3D1 Dual 6600T (graphics) on 1 card
1GB Ram (Crucial) DDR400
Thermaltake 480w Butterfly PSU
Usual FDD, CD-Rom, DVD-writer
Western 120Gb IDE HDD
Lovingly wrapped in a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case

Advertisements

arcadesdude

arcadesdude

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
That's interesting that the BIOS isn't holding the drive settings...you might need a new battery to hold the CMOS settings (or maybe that battery is just in backwards). If you put a new battery in and it works and run the XP setup from the begining and it still acts up the same as before then it might be another problem (probably hardware related unless your XP cd is scratched up)...

window-washer

window-washer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Greetings...

What about rewriting the bios to... Boot CDdrive first and boot the HDD second to be sure that the boot disk is loaded before the HDD, and the boot disk is being read?

Regards...

loslobas

loslobas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I sorted the issue.. its funny that its always the very tiny oversights that result in such dramatic failures!

Basically when I upgraded the Bios I should have selected 'revert to default settings' first - before making any changes to the Bios.

Boy did I kick myself hard after that! Lesson learnt is also read the 'fine' print in the MoBo manuals! :tazz:

Cheers for the help though!