Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to plug a memory leak

• Please log in to reply

nubtater

nubtater

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've checked around the web trying to find information on how to pinpoint and fix a memory leak. problem is i am not exactly sure based off of what i've been able to find if i will be fixing it or just getting rid of the problem for the moment

a bit about the troubles i am having, accroding to chkdsk, sfc /scannow there is no software issuess. I use registry mechanic pro to keep my registry clean as well as clean up and CClearner to keep tabs on information.

lately i've been having alot of trouble downloading any decent size folders off the web, and anything web related for the most part.
I've mostly found that iexplore.exe seems to keep going up and not really holding still. just after coming here to post this it jumped up to about 50K. my system performance well idle spikes from 0-10 percent and my kernal memory is starting to get out of hand

total 124480 (and continusly rising well idle
paged 71196
nonpaged 53196

I have spent a week fighting this and cannot seem to pinpoint the cause, I have run schredder, spybot search and distroy as well as looked up other areas of information. though so far i've yet to find any malware program find anything out of the normal.

really not sure if this is the approiate area to ask such a question though, so my apologizes if it is not within the corrupt forum bracket. i thought about do something i read earlyer about inserting the CD and simply bringing all windows based programs back to factory settings well still leaving things i would rather not get rid of.

i have also tried system recovery consoule and the variouse tools that can be found directly off a purchased CD for advanced troubleshooting of windows.

again any and all help is 100% appreciated
Sincerly, Jesse

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Go into Task Manager (the same place where you got "total", "paged", & "nonpaged") and look at the section above that. Where it says physical memory (K). Read me the name & value for each.

You hardly see problems (if ever) with the kind of memory that you were looking at. Let me know what the Physical Memory section says and we'll go from there.

nubtater

nubtater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Physical memory
total 2095536
available 159888 (and going up)
system cache 487420

under totals
handles 9358
threads 434
process 31

commit charge (k)
total 291516
limit 4034376
peak 313284

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
2 GB of memory and you only have 100 MB available???!!! :whistling: :blink:

Something's not right there!

Please download and run hijackthis Do a scan and then save a log. Take the log and ATTACH IT (do not post) to your next post. In order to attach it, you will either need to change the .log extension to .txt, or you will have to put the log into a compressed (zipped) folder.

We do not like to post hijackthis logs in sections other than the malware forum as we do not want to encourage people to post malware issues in this forum.

I am not looking for malware. I am looking for what programs or combinations of programs might cause this behavior. If I notice any malware, I will redirect you to the malware forum.

If you post a hijackthis log in this forum, several trusted techs will come to your house and eat all of your Ritz crackers, Cheeze Doodals and any sweet pickles you have in your fridge. We will also put our feet up on all of your coffee tables. This is no joke. We'll do it. It's not pretty. :help:

nubtater

nubtater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
apologies for taking so much time to get this posted, been rather busy and haven't had to much free time to fix my faulty system or troubleshoot of late. attached is a .zipped copy of the hijack log as request, i made sure to follow all directions as i have lots of scared coffe tables at home

Attached Files

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I will have a malware expert double-check your log, but as far as I can tell, everything is fine.

Till then, it looks like we'll have to resort to old fashion troubleshooting. Unfortunately that may take a while.

For all of the following steps, you will be checking the amount of RAM (which is the info you gave me in post #3 for physical memory) I expect it to be at least 1000000 (if the numbers you gave me earlier were correct. Double-check and make sure they are around the same amount)

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot.
Does the problem persist? If not, continue with the next part. If so, STOP and report back to me.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the problem persist? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.
Does the problem persist? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the problem, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back

nubtater

nubtater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i beleave i found the problem. not sure how it works but i think there was a problem between some of my security settings. uninstalled my network adapters and bus enumerator and then reinstalled the drivers. doing so got rid of alot of programs from Nvidia from the firewall etc. i think even though the software was disabled it was causing compatibility issues. sense doing so my computers overall performance and networking capabilites seem to have gotten much better. though i am still unsure if this truely resolved my problem or not

again my many thanks for the great information and accelent help in resolving this problem to date. i honestly cannot thank you ladies/gentlemen info for your help.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You are welcome :blink: and thanks for telling us how you solved your problem.

Let me know if you need anything else :whistling: