Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem upgrading video card

• Please log in to reply

scarf1

scarf1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Old card was a Savage4 32mb AGP.
New card is a FX5500 256mb AGP.

Problems:
- when the new card is put in and the computer is restarted, there are thick vertical lines on the screen (however, the vertical lines will not show up in a screenshot)
- when Windows boots up, the colors looked ‘washed out’ and the resolution is extremely low, and cannot be changed
- while the video cards drivers are being installed an error message appears, as shown in this screenshot: http://img110.images...untitledkf2.png

All of these issue dissappear when the old video card is reinstalled.

For reference, these are the AGP properties from AIDA32:

AGP Version - 2.00
AGP Status - Enabled
AGP Aperture Size - 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds - 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed - 2x
Fast-Write - Supported, Disabled
Side Band Addressing - Supported, Disabled

I know for certain that there is an insufficient PSU, as the FX5500 requires 350w and the current PSU is roughly half of that. What I’m curious about is whether that is the sole reason for the above problems, or could there be something else to it? I don’t want to put a new PSU in only to have these problems remain, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by scarf1, 21 August 2006 - 01:33 PM.

Advertisements

Kazer

Kazer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
FX5500 is a x8 AGP card.
Your port is 1x, 2x and 4x, it doesn't support 8x.
Perhaps that could be the problem?