Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply

evilcowgod

evilcowgod

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yesterday I bought a new LCD monitor before I had a box monitor the old type, now a problem happens when I start up my computer, it says none or very low virtual memory ive adjusted my page files to let the system use as much as it needs and still it errors. My current ram is at about 352 and the max I can upgrade to is 384 a log of my hijack is:

edit: attach HJT log

Hope someone can help me

-Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 21 August 2006 - 03:13 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

download java

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi evilcowgod...

What is the minimum you have set for the page file?

wannabe1

evilcowgod

evilcowgod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
At the moment I have it set to no page file because of the error on start up

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try the custom setting, set the minimum to 2046, and the maximum to 4092. Apply the changes and reboot.

Do you still get the error?

evilcowgod

evilcowgod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Im going to try that but at the moment im running a scan with nod32 to see if maybe its a virus leeching off me

Edited by evilcowgod, 21 August 2006 - 03:55 PM.

evilcowgod

evilcowgod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Another thing does it matter that I has a rather small amount of ram? 352mb out of 384 max that I can expand to

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That is surely a part of the problem, but having an adequate paging file may help. System managed settings will sometimes start you off with too little virtual memory and the system will increase it when it finds it has too little memory for a task. Using no page file will force it to pull it from the available ram...there probably won't be an error, but you may see a drop in performance.

Let me know if the settings I suggested eliminate the error.

evilcowgod

evilcowgod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ill let you know as soon as I can, thanks

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
When you have no page file, the pc loads mostly everything onto the ram, which can make things slow and create issues with some things being able to run properly.

It is always good to have a page file.

The minimum size of your page file needs to at least be 3x the size of your registry. You can export your registry (backup) and see its size, in general 40-60mb.

I use xp pro and by sys default it is using 1,500+ for the min and 3000 for the max.

Advertisements

evilcowgod

evilcowgod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Wont let me go that high, says there is not enough space on drive

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
What is the max amount of space... try 400 min and 1000 max and see what you get

you may have to clear some space off your machine... ever do disk cleanup?

or click "start" click "run" and type in %temp% and when the window opens it is safe to delete everything inside the temp folder. You may free up some space.

Edited by AitrusSkyy, 21 August 2006 - 05:25 PM.

evilcowgod

evilcowgod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hmm alrighty, question first if I buy a extra hardrive will it use the page file from that one? If I decide to use that

evilcowgod

evilcowgod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
600mb cleared thanks

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Each hard drive will require its own page file... However I reccommend doing what I do...

I have a 40 gig main drive, I install windows on it and small basic programs like messengers or winamp or what not...

Then I have a 160 gig backup, I install all my huge programs to, and keep all my music on and programs. This way you have a quicker running windows because less is on the main drive, and if you ever get a virus or something that ruins windows, you dont usually have to worry about backing anything up because stuff is already on your harddrive...