Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer Stop working (XP Pro)

• Please log in to reply

A6ETrammn

A6ETrammn

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer stop working in my user account about 45 minutes after rebooting and logging on. If I log on to another use account, while the original account is still open, windows explorer and Internet explorer don't work at all.

When I right click Computer, or any drive, or select search from the start menu, then click explore, the task bar goes away for a couple of seconds then reappears, and the explorer window, search window, or internet explorer do not open.

I have performed all of the Malware/Spyware removal, and I still have the same problem.

Thanks

edit: attach HJT log

Attached Files

Edited by wannabe1, 21 August 2006 - 03:30 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi A6ETrammn...

Is the file rkadmin.dll present in the System 32 folder?

wannabe1

A6ETrammn

A6ETrammn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, thanks for the quick response.

Edited by A6ETrammn, 21 August 2006 - 04:00 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did you ever post your log in the Malware forum, or did you just run the suggested applications? It looks like yo may have an infection.

Do you (or have you ever) gotten a popup suggesting that you purchase WinAntiVirus Pro?

A6ETrammn

A6ETrammn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I never posted the log in any other forum, I just did the suggested items in the "Do you suspect a malware (Spyware, Virus, Trojan) infection? Please Start Here"

I've never gotten any pop ups, it just started happening. I did run sfc /scannow and that seemed to improve my primary user account, but when I ran the scannow function in one of the other user accounts (they are administrator accounts) nothing changed. You can't use windows explorer, search files, or Internet Explorer.

The taskbar disappears, an hourglass comes on, then the desktop flickers, the taskbar comes back but no explorer etc.

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions you'll find there.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

A6ETrammn

A6ETrammn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I'm guessing it's not malware because the issue has been looked at but no response yet. I have reinstalled the cd video drivers (NVIDIA GEforce T2) and that didn't change anything. I had downloaded the drivers from the NVIDIA site and had installed the more up to date ones.

Thanks

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Once a staff member there looks at your log, they will reply to your topic either with removal instructions or a clean bill of health and suggestions for keeping things that way.

Be patient...it sometimes takes a couple days... :whistling:

A6ETrammn

A6ETrammn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK,

Thanks

A6ETrammn

A6ETrammn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Still haven't gotten a response in the Malware forum since 22AUG. Any ideas about what might be the problem? I have since repaired the O/S using the installation disk, I found that everything operates normally in Safe Mode.

Thanks