Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

adaware stuck in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

werther

werther

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My girlfriends step-dad has been having serious problems with his laptop so I have been commisioned to fix it.
I am now just starting my journey with this piece and am trying to run adaware in safe mode. It keeps getting 'stuck'* when scanning the registry.
*stuck=just sits there -system is not froze, but adaware is not using any of the cpu.

this happened the other night when I tried running Norten in safe mode too. I just didn't think anything of it cause I know Nortan is a piece of crap.

The reason I am running this:

In normal operation this computer will not let you use my computer or internet explorer. If you do try to use them the explorer.exe cpu usage goes to 100%. When you click internet explorer no window comes up (same with my computer) but in the task manager you see the process thread for IE.

any ideas?

Edit: ok guys it turns out this guy never runs defrag or dskchk.
I ran dskchk and in phase 4 it found tons of bad clusters.
It took 8 hours to run on a 30gb hd! I have not had the chance to try Adaware again but I am quite sure that it would run without a hitch this time. Anyway looks like the culprit wasn't virus/spyware anyway but an aging hd. I always go into fixing pc's [bleep]-backwards. Shoulda started with the simple stuff.
oh yeah, one last thing; although I make money off of people continually buying garbage windows systems, I am not a sleuth........Buy A Mac. There is no reason not to anymore. You can run xp and mac os x both on one system. I think once people start using OS X just a little bit, they will never look back.

Edited by werther, 22 August 2006 - 10:39 AM.

Advertisements