Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cp slow, cannot turn off, antivirus diabled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again

The result of that scan is negative also. As far as I am concerned, I believe your system to be clean.

Let me just tell you about your so-called error in Hotmail, ad.au.doubleclick.net. This address is known to many as an adware site, and something on your PC is protecting you from it. It is possible that you have installed MVPS Hosts or you have that name added to another form of protection.

I eill leave this thread open for a few days in case of misfortune.

Advertisements

l plater

l plater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi Phil,

cp seems to run ok,

still have problem with hotmail and some other sites, the page does come up but with a band across the top and right hand top quarter of the page have messages saying IE could not connect and is having difficulties try again later etc

so when I try to click through a mesage the full page comes up saying could not connect etc

the same happens when I go into these sites via mozilla.

went into properties, tried to fix it there

even uninstalled IE7, but did not make a difference

I do realise this is not a virus or similar, but do you have any clues on this?
thanks heaps

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Check your HOST file, or your Firewall to see if these sites are blocked, if not it will be your AV programme security too high. Reset it to DEFAULT and it should be OK.

In XP, your HOST file is normally at: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

l plater

l plater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi Phil,

went into xp hostfile, but dont really know what to look for,or what to do with it
some files are unable to open, hostfile askes which program you want to open the file with
so I just left that alone

windows firewall does not have these sites blocked, I added them to the safelist.
also updated java, and with it came google toolbar, which you recommended
I did not instal the hostfile, tried but it would not work for me.
maybe thats the problem? grabbing at straws here lol

thanks for helping me, I would not be able to do it all myself

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Hello again

You should be able to open your HOST file with either MSIE or FireFox if you use it, although it doesn't sound like you have at any time adjusted it, still worth checking.

Windows firewall is one, incoming, so we need not look there.

That leaves your AV. Can I suggest that you disconnect yourself from the internet by physicall breaking your modem connection, then uninstall Norton, reboot and reinstall it.

If this doesn't work, I will pass you onto the correct forum for this.

Edited by Crustyoldbloke, 20 November 2006 - 09:06 AM.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.