Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Things were going so well UNTIL.....

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Please see my other topic:

"I think I'm almost clean (er, my computer that is...)"

I've only started a new Topic b/c most people probably figure my issues were solved based on my last posting title...and I thought they were. As I posted in the other topic:

<<
Okay, I guess I shouldn't have deleted the Winemv32.dll thing -- I can no longer get into Windows.

I freeze at the big, blue "Windows is Starting Up..." page -- I can't even get in via Safe Mode...nor can I get in via Safe Mode w/Command Prompt or Last Known Good Configuration.

I'm using my old computer (which has tons of its own problems) to post this. Sigh.

Now what? There must be SOME way to delete what I need to do from DOS w/out booting Windows are starting over and losing all my data. Right?!

Thanks....
>>

According to Toshiba help (my laptop's a Toshiba), I would need a WinXP Home Edition Service Pack 1 disc to boot from. To get to DOS, should I want to delete Trojan files manually, I would need a special DOS boot disc. The computer ONLY came with a full recovery disc -- if I use it, I lose ALL data on my computer.

My old computer is unable to burn discs, so I can't even download these things (it won't recognize the CD-ROM drives. If someone can solve THIS problem, I can download one of the above discs and burn it, then use the new disc in the NEW computer).

If anyone's got any other ideas -- it'd be greatly appreciated.

WHEW! I'm exhausted just thinking about it!!

Hope someone can help! Thanks!!

Edited by Phlegmbot, 21 August 2006 - 06:47 PM.

Advertisements