Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

change fat to ntfs on xp

• Please log in to reply

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
we just bought a new computer with dual 120gb harddrives it has xp pro on one in FAT32 and the other is empty in NTFS. we would like to change the drive with the OS to NTFS. What is the easiest way to do that?
1.reinstall on other drive in NTFS, comes up with this product ID is not valid.
2.can we use WD Harddrive clone? and clone the FAT32 drive to the NTFS drive and have it turn out to be NTFS?
3.Any suggestions and help please? Thank You! Nic's dad Crunch

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi nic777...

In a word...yes, and it can be done using Windows. Though the process should leave the data intact, it's a good idea to back up any important files.

Convert to NTFS

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 21 August 2006 - 07:05 PM.

nic777

nic777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
i got a question to anyone...if you use a key from your freind (that hes not got on his computer) and use your disc and his key will it accept that key? for that disk but both are same service packs

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If they are of the same version and the key you are using is not registered to another machine, yes. You may have to call Microsoft if you have problems activating and tell them you bought your machine and operating system from a friend, they should register that key to you or give you a new one.

Were you aware that you can pull the current product key from the registry and then simply do a repair installtion of XP using that product key? That should prevent you from having those kinds of difficulties.

Edited by wannabe1, 21 August 2006 - 08:55 PM.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:blink: Wannabe1, thanks for your replys. I'm not exactly sure of my sons parable that he just asked. Our problem might not be worth solving in the first place.
Our newest computer project is one we bought off ebay. It's a new unit, showing install date of July 21, 2006. First thing we did was updates and it validated. It came with daul HDDs dated june 2006 both 120gig one in FAT32 other NTFS. We ran it on PCPITSTOP and was rather disappointed with its score. The pitstop scan showed the OS on FAT and the NTFS as totally free space. We were thinking that it would do better in NTFS. Plus two 120 gigs in the same machine is more than we need, we could use one elsewhere. We have several OS a half dozen brand new keys we bought last week. I don't want to waste a second key on this PC, but when I installed a new copy in NTFS on the second drive and used the key we validated 2 days ago from the sticker on back. It says the product key is invalid without it even being online yet. Also after three different new installs we have never been able to get it to install its onboard DSL. Yet the OS it came with runs the DSL fine. This is a very odd PC, the thing has wheels, brakes, 8 LEDs on front, slide in locking HDDs, with locking door in front of them.Says IMS in glass emblem, has 4 fans on front,3 fans on rear, 2 fans on TOP, 3 inside. Shipping weight is more than double regular full size ATX. Think it could be a server but that didn't show in PITSTOP. This came without a XP Pro disk, we have three versions of XP Pro on hand though some with SP1 and an early and late version of SP2 all PRO. None are compatible with the key on the PC sticker. 2nd weird thing is the OS that came on it recognizes the onboard LAN/DSL and OB sound but none of our full installs will. What am I up to now, about question 4? Is this an oddball OS that belongs in this oddball PC with some kind of unique components that require a special version of XP Pro? Yesterday I did updates in FAT and converted it from SP1 to SP2. Being brand new it's not pertinant info to worry about losing in changing to NTFS, other than all the antivirus/cleaners,etc I just spent the day putting in. I can't actually use any of the brand new OS anyway because they wont install the onboard LAN and sound. I don't want to lose the OS that I paid for with the new PC as it has a unique KEY (and valid to its OS) and ability to install the boards components (that brand new FULL XP PRO SP2 can not). #5. I may be screwed later if this OS needs repaired and is not compatible with normal XP Pro disks.
Starting over! 1. Should we switch to NTFS, would you, is it better?
2. Why can't I use the key on its sticker, for a new install in it? All my disks say that is NOT a A "VALID PRODUCT ID" when I reinstall on the empty drive.EVEN WITHOUT INTERNET!
3. Why won't our new XP SP2 install the onboard components.
4. Due to this being sort of freak OS and PC, how do I get a disk for it?
5.We spent a big wad on this one knowing it had very impressive specs, How can we make the
most out of it, fastest and use other drive elsewhere.
6.ALWAYS After POST it asked "XP or other" to boot, there is no other,(I think C drive may
have another partition) or the two formats make it think there are two OS. If we give up on
everything, how do we make it boot to XP without asking us to select and press enter
everytime that we turn it on?

ENOUGH FOR NOW! PLEASE EVERYONE, BITE OFF as much of this as you can. Explanations, directions, and sorces are ALL GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :help: :whistling:

Edited by crunch, 21 August 2006 - 11:44 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
:whistling: This certainly got complicated in a hurry :blink:

Let's have a look at what you've got there. Download WinAudit. Burn the file to a cd, install it on this mystery machine, run it, and save a report in PDF format. Attach it to an e-mail to me. (I'll PM you with the address).

Once I know just what we're dealing with, we'll see what we can come up with. To answer your questions as best I can at this point...
  • "Should we switch to NTFS?"...NTFS is a little faster and is a little better filing system than FAT, but a normal user really wouldn't notice the difference. For a more advanced user, I would recommend NTFS. In your case, since the machine is running good the way it is, I'd leave well enough alone until we know more about the machine.
  • "Why can't I use the key on its sticker?"...I would assume that this is because the version on the machine is an OEM version with an OEM Key that does not match the version key requirements for the OS you are trying to install.
  • "Why won't our new XP SP2 install the onboard components?"...There may be no Native Windows drivers for these devices. I'd like to see the report before I go further.
  • "how do I get a disk for it?"...Again...I'd need to know just what it is. Should be in the report.
  • "How can we make the most out of it?"...Refer to number 4 What kind of drives are in the machine? ATA? SATA? WinAudit will show that.
  • "ALWAYS After POST it asked "XP or other" to boot?"...This would be a matter of editing the boot.ini file. Your machine was (or is) configured as a dual boot machine...I would need to see the boot.ini file to tell you what the second choice is pointing to.
That's about all I can tell you without seeing the report.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:blink: OH! I sent you the report from reading the PM. I didn't realize there were specific instructions. I did not do a Cd and burn a copy. I'm on the beast right now by running in the XP pro that came on it.
1. You realize that I installed a newer version of XP Pro on the NTFS storage drive but it won't go on the
internet or sound.
2. Your audit revealed things slightly different than PCPITSTOP. This TIME I deffinantly see the words
"workstation" and "server". I have NO idea what difference that make or how to use it to my advantage
in a house with 16 computers.
3.PitStop showed install in July 21, 2006 and your audit shows creation as 11/11/03 yet absolutely no
activity until I bought it last week. Regardless, it's BRAND NEW. But the earlier date on the OS software
would explain why I had to install the "SP2" update on a new PC.
4. Being "server" would that require a different version of the OS so its key wont work on my software?
Thus making it neccessary for me to aquire the proper OS CD software to go the operating system that I
paid for when I purchased the PC? If so, How do I go about that? I just checked again and it is VALID
But I have no sevice disk for it, nor any drivers for the motherboard, HELP there PLEASE!
5. Since I read your PM first and did not follow instuctions, Please let me know if you want me to resend
the audit!
6. Since the first time I turned it on, it has always requested a selection to enter to boot at starting up. So my addition of XP pro on the other drive is not the cause of it thinking it has two operating systems to
chose from. In fact the choice is "XP" or "other operating system on drive ©" both are pertaining to
what's on "C". I have selected "other" then it locks up. the only thing then is to reboot and select "XP".

Please let me know what to do next! Thank You VERY MUCH! So far I've learned it's a server. WHAT GOOD IS THAT? I Always wanted one just for bragging rights :) k @ CRUNCH :whistling: :help:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Would you mind resending the report? Only this time attach the file to the e-mail in pdf format. The one you sent in the e-mail body came through as light grey text on a white background and is very difficult to read. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...you got a beast. Dual Processor Server...sweet.

The Hard Drives are both ATA, so yes...you can use the extra drive elswhere.

Most of your drivers should be available on the Intel website or through Windows Update. If you open the WinAudit report and click on Hardware Devices in the left pane, you'll notice that the Driver Provider is listed for each device in the right pane.

If you don't have a bunch of important files on the machine, the switch to NTFS would benefit this machine.

The only operating system I see on the machine is XP Pro. However...there's something taking up a little over three gigs on the second drive...about the size of an operating system. Have you added anything to that drive?

Let's get rid of the "Which System" prompt.

Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon. Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click the "Settings" button. In the window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini). Copy the contents of that window and paste it to your next reply.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Yes I did put XP Pro on HDD 2 but its pretty much non funtional without drivers for the motherboard. It can be formatted back to haw I recieved it last week.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

It did start a new problem last night after I've been screwing with it. When I turn it on, after post then Logo display. It says something very fast about a disk problem and to press any key or scan will start in 10 seconds. I've been there on another PC and it would not work after the scan without installing the CD and key. I would be screwed with this one because I don't have the identicle CD and it rejects the key in it from its sticker that is valid. That is weird how the key in it validates with the OS that is in it but won't work with my copies of XP. So far I've been on the ball and pressed a key and it boots to the OS and works fine.
THANK YOU, I'm ready when you are. Basically we can wipe this intire computer but we must save drivers and THE KEY!

Edited by crunch, 23 August 2006 - 02:41 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open the boot.ini file as you did earlier. Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save As". Save a copy of this file to the desktop...name it bootold. In the open boot.ini file, remove the line in red below, click "File" on the toolbar, and choose "Save". The next time you boot it should boot straight to Windows.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

You can wipe the second drive from Disk Management any time you choose. Right click "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Expand "Storage" and click on "Disk Management". Right click on the second drive in the lower right pane and choose "Format".

To pull the product key from the registry, download and run Magic Jelly Bean. This way you can verify that the key on the machine matched the key the operating system was installed with.

I'll look a little further into the availability of your drivers from the various websites...I really don't think (at the moment, anyway) that rounding up the drivers will pose too much of a problem.

What exactly is it trying to run at startup? Is it chkdsk?

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:blink: Great! So far one problem solved. No more asking which operating system to use. Just goes to XP logo then displays the error message very quickly. "Checking file system on C , one of your disks needs to be ...... consistancy." I'm getting this very same message on another PC it only has one drive. so it appears to be dealing with the C drive only. I panic and stop the scan, as it appears to begin deleting or some scarry messages flash faster than I can read. I shut it down and reboot then press a key imediately to go on without the scan.
Please help fix this, eventually I would like to change to NTFS and tweak it up a little. :help: I spent five hours in 20 phone calls with Microsoft and IBM trying to get a XP CD . :) I got totally screwed around all day, NEVER GOT HELP. MS passes the buck to IBM. IBM totally scanned it and politely convinced me 4 times that they have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS MACHINE :woot: MS says the number under the KEY on the OS sticker means it came from IBM, IBM has convinced me that is IMPOSSIBLE! They downloaded a long scan and came up clean with nothing in it IBM. Both accussed the other of denieing, but no one would help. I just want a CD that has MY VALID KEY encrypted in it somewhere so I cane do reinstall /repair and have the product ID be valid. OK I'm rambling, Please take me to the next step.
1. Error/scan at start or change FAT32 to NTFS?
Thank You!!! Kurke ie Crunch :woot: :whistling:
P.S. I formated the second harddrive, so it EMPTY/ ALL FREE SPACE!

Edited by crunch, 24 August 2006 - 12:32 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's tackle the scan next. Sounds like it's trying to run chkdsk.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok". In the command window that opens, type fsutil dirty query c: at the prompt and press "Enter".

Does the result of this indicate the drive is "Dirty"?

Type exit and press "Enter" to close the command session.

You can delete the bootold file you saved to your desktop.

Edited by wannabe1, 24 August 2006 - 01:05 AM.

crunch

crunch

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
:whistling: Ok deleted back up "oldfile". YES, the answer is "DIRTY", it is dirty! Ok, that sounds bad. What now. Thank You Very Much for YOUR TIME so far. You guys are fantastic help.
You, like myself appear to be going 24/7. BTW, today I finally got a nice person at Microsoft after four more calls. They can not supply a CD for my older VALID version of XP Pro, but made a very sweet deal since they confirmed it is still VALID. $30.00 to replace it if needed but that would mean (DRIVERS) would need located. So let's try to fix it, PLEASE. Crunch :blink:

Edited by crunch, 24 August 2006 - 10:30 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll get it fixed up. I'd jump on the Microsoft deal, though. :whistling:

This is called a "Dirty Bit". In a nutshell, there is a cluster on the drive with an invalid memory address and Windows doesn't like it. We need to unset that Dirty Bit so windows can recover the cluster.
  • If you have Spyware Doctor installed, uninstall it.
  • If you have ZoneAlarm installed, open it, click the "Overview" tab, then select "Preferences", and UNcheck the "Protect ZA Client" check box.
Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the prompt in the Command window, type the following commands, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Please note the spaces in the following commands.)
  • chkntfs /d ..... (This will reset autocheck options to default)
  • chkntfs /c C: ..... (This will allow checking drive C:)
  • fsutil dirty query c: ..... (This queries the drive and will most likely tell you that it is dirty)
  • chkntfs /x c: ..... (The x switch tells Windows to NOT check the specified drive on the next boot)
At this point, restart your computer, it will not do a chkdsk and will boot directly to Windows.

This next step is important as this is where the Dirty Bit will be unset.

Click Start, then Run, type cmd in the Open box and click "Ok". At the command prompt, type the following, pressing "Enter" after each one: (Again, note the spaces.)
  • chkdsk /f /r c: ..... (To manually run a full chkdsk operation)
  • Y ..... (To accept having it run on the next boot)
This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that Dirty Bit. Be patient...this is a very thorough check and will take quite a while...it may even appear to start over during the final two stages...60 to 90 minutes would not be unreasonable for this to complete in some cases.

Finally, when the chkdsk operation has completed, type fsutil dirty query c:, press "Enter", and Windows will confirm that the Dirty Bit is not set on that drive.

Now reboot again and see if chkdsk still runs on bootup.

wannabe1