Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Not Detected

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I have an old Gateway 2000 computer, that I am replacing a hard drive from like a 3GB to an 80Gb and the computer is not detecting it. It detected it at first but now it won't. I know if I need a BIOS update, the hd would show up the wrong size, but my computer can't even detect it( though it did at first). Although my MaxBlast CD I downloaded from www.maxtor.com can detect the hd, but says something like a partition needs to be installed for it to work, and I can't install a partition if my computer can't detect the hd.....NEED HELP!!!!!

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
have you tried to force teh detection of teh HDD in the bios

there is a thing in the bios which you can force teh detection of the drive

troppo

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
and what specific steps would I follow for that?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well sometimes its hard to direct people through BIOS's because of teh many many differnet variations to them.

but when yuo start the computer it should come up with a black sceen which cheask the CPU speed and the RAM when you see this screen imediatly hit either delete of its one of the F1... buttons it will tell you at the bottom of the screen.

then there is a setting in there like harware detection (sorry its hard to say exactly what but have a play around and see what comes up dont worry you cant hurt anything is you dont save the settings)
then in harware detection set the auto detect option if not there will be somethign that says search for hard drives or hardware then teh bios should detect the drive

im sorry this is so hard to work out but you will have to just play around and see what your bios says then we will workit out from there

troppo

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
My computer does not have this option, but another one I have does....could it be the BIOS version? Also I noticed that the drive was zero-filled with either PowerMax or some other third party software...could this affect anything??

Edited by ddiddy40, 23 August 2006 - 05:33 AM.

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Can you give me the exact model of your Gateway please?

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
System

Gateway 2000 PC

Model Number: ATX Tower
Serial Number: 0006144692

Motherboard

Product: VS440FX
Version: AA666860-407
Serial Number: 503248924

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
That is a very old Intel motherboard designed for Pentium Pro processors. Wow. Ok, it will not support that HDD. The BIOS is not capable of recognizing it, which is understandable. 80GB HDDs were not even in the forecast when that mobo was released.

The only hope you MIGHT have is to try a PCI IDE controller card and rely on the BIOS of the card to detect the HDD. You might still have to divide the drive up with a disk management utility however. I'm not 100% sure on that one.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
And could you recommend a specific PCI IDE controller card?

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Any one will do. I like Promise and Highpoint, but there are several other manufacturers around.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
your original bios will detect the hard drive but it will be limited in capacity maybe 27Gb's or around that mark

if your computer doesnt have a bios that is accsesable then your in a bit of trouble can you reset the CMOS via the jumper? (if you dont no how to do this just ask)

some companys lock the bios's so that people cant make changes i think you might be able to get into it with out buying a PCI HDD card because yo will also be limited in the trasfer rate slowing down your whole system

troppo

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Yeah, I don't know how to reset the CMOS via the jumper....if I did get the PCI IDE controller card, would it be able to get the full 80GB or very close to that??

SirKenin

SirKenin

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I'm thinking it will, because the card will have it's own BIOS on it that should detect the HDD's full capacity... Also the notion that it will slow down the performance of the drive is false. It will function at full capacity, so you have no worries there.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Ok so I bought a PCI IDE controller card and it's on it's way. I checked and it supported drives over 137gb and since the new one I have is 80Gb it should work...