Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked Out of Windows thanks to Trojan issues....

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Please see my other topic:

Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here: "I think I'm almost clean (er, my computer that is...)"

I've creatd this topic here b/c I think now my issue is not registry Log File/Malware related. I hope I'm not posting too much (?), and that someone can help...

As I posted in the other topic:

<<
Okay, I guess I shouldn't have deleted the Winemv32.dll thing -- I can no longer get into Windows.

I freeze at the big, blue "Windows is Starting Up..." page -- I can't even get in via Safe Mode...nor can I get in via Safe Mode w/Command Prompt or Last Known Good Configuration.

Thanks....
>>

According to Toshiba help (my laptop's a Toshiba), I would need a WinXP Home Edition Service Pack 1 disc to boot from. To get to DOS, should I want to delete Trojan files manually, I would need a special DOS boot disc. The computer ONLY came with a full recovery disc -- if I use it, I lose ALL data on my computer.

Now, my OLD computer is unable to burn discs, b/c it no longer recognizes, or "sees," the CD-ROM drives. So it's not like I can download a WinXP disc, burn it here, and then bring it to the new computer.

Of course, if someone knows how to fix this problem of the old computer not seeing my hardware (i tried reinstalling the drivers -- it only worked for a few minutes), I can problaby get into Windows on the new laptop and run some scans and finally solve all this.

If anyone's got any ideas -- it'd be greatly appreciated.

WHEW! I'm exhausted!!

Hope someone can help! Thanks!!

p.s. I'm an editor and proofreader by trade; if you can solve this, I'm happy to trade my services to help you with a paper, a resume or what-have-you. Thx.

Advertisements

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
realy quickly, what you need right now is a WinXP Home Edition Service Pack 1 cd like toshiba said, if you can get your hands on that it would definetly be a plus!

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
And, just checking, once I get that, I do a partial restore (or whatever it's called exactly) to get myself back into Windows, right?

Do I do a scan at that point? Post another registry log? What?

Anyone?....

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
yes in your case you would need to do a repair to the operating system

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Phlegmbot...

Do you have a floppy drive?

Can you access Recovery Console using your installation cd?

There may be options other than the repair available to you.

wannabe1

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
here it goes step by step on performing a windows repair directly from admin on geeks to go http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Thanks, guys...I'm gonna ask a few folks I know if they have a copy I can borrow. Sadly my laptop did NOT come with an installation CD -- only a Recovery disc. So it's all or nothing right now.

In the meantime, anyone have any thoughts on how I can get this old computer to recognize the CD-ROM drives again? Reinstalling the drivers didn't do it.

If I can get it to do that, I can download a WinXP disc overnight.

Later, all!

And thanks again for the directions...

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi again, everyone!

Stupid question time:

I was told of a site called BootDisk.com

This site has a link to create a "Fresh Install CD" (my laptop has no floppy)...

But what IS a fresh install? Is it the same as a boot disk? There are explanations there, but, frankly, I just don't understand them.

Does anyone see a link at his site for a WinXP Home Edition SP1 CD boot disk?

Sigh....

Thx!

Phlegmbot

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
most likely the fresh install is refering to a clean install or formatting your hrd drive and re istalling windows all over again, anotherwords deleting all the data in the hard drive and re installing windows all over again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The Fresh Install cd at bootdisk.com is an ISO image of a Win98SE Startup Disk. Using that disk, you can delete partitions, create partitions, and format. If you have no floppy drive on your machine, this is a good disk to have. If you have a floppy, you can get the same thing for floppy disks on their main page as a free download.

Fresh Install CD..................$4.00
Win98SE Bootdisk (floppy)...free

bootdisk.com

Edited by wannabe1, 22 August 2006 - 05:01 PM.

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
But Wannabe, maybe I'm not understanding your post -- is Aero correct? Are you saying that with creating partitions or something I can get back into Windows?

And, if so, how??

I guess the big question is: do I still need a boot disk? And does anyone know of a site where I can put one ont oa CD?

(please note: i found one site that gives directions on how to do this, but their directions did not work -- I kept getting Syntax errors for running something like C:\CD\SP.EXE /U: /X:\somethingsomething ...this after creating a folder called CD and re-naming the executable from Microsoft's site SP.EXE)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot Disks are a bit tough to assemble and create on cd...I would recommend downloading an ISO image and burning it to a cd-r.

A bootdisk will start your machine in DOS. From the DOS or Command Prompt you can use fdisk to delete partitions, create partitions, and format the HDD...thus you can prepare a drive for a fresh installation of Windows.

So...yes, it will start the machine. In preparing the drive (formatting), all data will be lost. You will need a Windows installation cd to install the operating system after doing this. You will also need to round up and install all the device drivers.

Jag11

Jag11

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts
Hello Phlegmbot,

Didn't know that you started a new topic here.. But I think that's better because we can get others' ideas here. :whistling:

Ok, here's what we need to do (with noahdfear's advice :blink:)

Our goal will be to create a dummy file on your system32 folder - winemv32.dll - the file you have deleted because that may be the reason why your machine is not booting because winlogon is still looking for it.

1. Download BartPE here :
http://www.nu2.nu/do...uilder3110a.exe

2. Burn it to a boot CD and then boot from it.

3. It will ask for Windows files (you could use your recovery CD for those files)

4. It should run a makeshift operating system from the cd, where you would be able to access your OS files.

5. Open up Notepad.

6. Click File > Save As. Save it as winemv32.dll (make sure "All Files" is selected as the File Type)

7. Then move it to C:\Windows\system32 then boot your machine normally and see if it worked.

-- Jet :help:

Edited by Jag11, 23 August 2006 - 02:59 AM.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Not that I don't trust Jet, he's done good by me so far, but can anyone else confirm that the above (and below) works?

Okay, Jet,

I'm going to make sure I get this, b/c I'm a dope, so the below is what you wrote w/a few more details (and some questions):

I Download BartPE here :

I Burn it to a CD, which will then BECOME my boot CD? (obviously, I have to change the BIOS to make sure the computer boots from the CD-ROM drive 1st).

When the computer asks for Windows files, I should put my recovery CD in the CD drive and remove the Boot CD mentioned just above.

At this point I should be able to get into some (stripped down?) version of Windows.

I open Notepad.

I save this random Notepad file as winemv32.dll

Using Explorer, I move it to C:\Windows\system32 where this same DLL file was and then reboot normally (removing the recovery CD prior) and cross my fingers.

One question: are you sure inputting the recovery disc at that point will NOT wipe my computer? I have too many new important files not yet backed up (they're only 2 weeks old).

Thanks!

Edited by Phlegmbot, 23 August 2006 - 10:54 AM.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Okay, so I received some confirmation from others that it should be safe to try out the above experiment.

I changed my bios so that the computer checks the CD first in order to boot.

I have in the CD drive the CD that has the file from here:

on it.

If I'm supposed to do something more to make the CD "a boot CD" you'll need to tell me. And need to tell me simply and clearly. {=0]

Edited and removed.

Edited by Kat, 24 August 2006 - 12:54 AM.