Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stargate cancelled

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sci fi has cancelled the show Stargate SG1, this show if you havent seen it is one of the most popular in the US and around the world and is THE longest running sci fi show its a rival to Star Trek in popularity but has more potential viewer wise being contempary.

Sci-fi in the US as a network was essentially built on this show after it aquired it from showtime, it pretty much single handedly put the network up there with the big hitters, if you dont beleive it look at sci fi from other nations, almost none have SG or BSG(what looks to be the succesor show for sci-fi US) and they dont do half as well and are very much fringe channels all sci-fi stuff of merit goes to other channels(like sky one in UK and Europe).

Interestingly that havent cancelled the spin off that airs right after sg1 atlantis which is usually considered not quite as good, its basically a copy of the original in a different galaxy.

This really annoys me, if ever i might any of the network execs responsible for cancelling this and firefly they are getting a slap.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm not a fan, but I know it has a large following. I was very surprised. As you say, Sci-fi doesn't exactly have a lot of hits. I have to guess the SG-1 producers were just demanding more than Sci-fi was willing to pay. Maybe it's just a negotiation tactic, and they can still reach an agreement.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
surely the longest running sci fi is dr who (1963-2006)
Stargate at 10yrs and ran the risk of running out of story credibility,I doubt whether atlantis makes it beyond 4th a Season,Seems the Roddenbury formula of 7 may hold true,Babylon 5 had 5yrs its spin off Crusade cruelly axed during first season,Thank heavens for dvd At least I can enjoy what sci fi I want to see when i want to see it. :whistling:

Edited by HaraldR, 22 August 2006 - 12:27 AM.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
hmmm...first the gov't announces that they're closing the Cheyenne Mountain complex, now StarGate's being cancelled...

Maybe the show was a gov't leak, so they would have plausible deniablity...just like the Wormhole Extreme episode...if anyone remembers that one.

Or maybe I"m just posting nonsense due to lack of sleep...still, my friends and I will miss the show :'(

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Curious, where will Stargate be shown then if not at Sci-fi, I was watchng it on Sky television network in the UK but I imagine that that was just a rerun.

I am a fan, it does have some nice concepts.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dr who never ran consecutivley it always got cancelled and rerun and spun off and remade, same with star trek none of its series or spin offs went longer than a few years.

The annoying thing is they just started on a semi decent storyline and they actually have all the actors contracted and budget for the next season a first.

Sci fi in one of those weird american quirks of showing shows is stopping mid season on the 22nd of september and continuing it in march next year so they can spin the current series out longer. The producers were hinting at another spin off and redistributing the characters which they could easily do but it would be better to just leave it alone. If not on sci fi its a very succesful show even if its ratings dipped slightly this year they are still good, it could possibly go back to showtime, ir there is FX or spike SG even now would still make a netwoerk by following alone.

Sci-fi is putting all on BSG which is a great show but its not everyones cup of tea its much more serious and definately has an edge but it can get a bit much it wont run for ten seasons on its own its too dark depressing. And im not sure if the BSG spin off will be any good, it will be a drama more than anything else and alot of people dont watch BSG for the drama but the action and story the spin off wont have thsoe advantagous.

Sky reruns old ones but shows the new ones as well but we get them after the US however ive been getting them from the US as they show this season. So ive seen both wormhole extreme eps, i have to say i dont like them in some respects but ive never liked those kind of episodes on any show, although the farscape spoof was hilarious(surprisingly accurate to those of us who watched).

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Doing some reading about this, the producers have promised it will continue. If not on SciFi than somewhere else. They're supposed to announce something later this week.

The number one show on the SciFi network? Wrestling! :whistling:

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Monday Nite RAW is going to be on SCI-FI next week due to the US Open being on USA. SCI-FI is going to get the best ratings they've ever gotten that night.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Wrestling on Sci-fi is sacrilage its fiction but where is the science.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
there is none....but I guess SCI-FI was the only channel that would take ECW...besides, with its cult following, it meant an increase in their ratings

Edited by rmurphy, 22 August 2006 - 10:37 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Still its kinda letting down the side, wrestling on a sci-fi is kinda like showing fox hunts to a fox. What is happening to the geeks tv haven these days.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Its a great show, but imo it losts its "thing" when whats his name left (O'neil). Any word on the spin off of them on the ship?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nah no word, when richard dean anderson left the writers wanted to rebrand the show a little and rework it(refit SG command to go with the new characters) stuff like that but Sci-fi in there wisdom said no leave it as it is(geniuses they are). The ship might be a bit difficult with the storyline they seem to loose the things to fast for that.

It used to have a serious edge but with a subtle tongue in cheek attitude at times with a hint of realism and sarcasm at the same time, but the new cast isnt quite as capable as davis and anderson could do it. Mind you they are coming on its getting back to what it was.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Agreed about the person change, but then if the series is to continue I imagine that a slow turnover of members is inevitable, even a good thing perhaps. What I felt is that the plots were getting weak nearing dumb, something like the Avengers after Emma Peal left. I believe too that four-eyes should have been killed with a shock, there is not enough tragidy in American television, "well thought out and unsure of the outcome" are the keys to its success in future.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah we need some good deaths, series 9 was kinda dumb at times but it was between major storylines so that kind of thing was bound to happen you kill off the main focus of the show for 8 seasons you have to fill the void somehow. It is getting a bit better you can see some good story elements come through, the Ori storyline is sometimes done in a hamfisted way but its a clever reflection on religous extremism in modern times not as subtely obvious as things in BSG because you dont look or expect them in SG but they are there and thats good its picking up the edge of a serious social commentary like all good sci-fi should.